• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing in the winter DUCKS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing in the winter DUCKS

It's a balmy 34 degrees outside here today with wind chill, so I decided to break out the Seal Skinz gloves, grab my cleaning supplies, and wash the 2002 Denali that I bought last week. The poor vehicle looks great from a distance but once you got up on it, you could see tons of swirl marks in the clear coat.

I think a person has to be mentally sick to handwash their car in near freezing temperatures. But I did it, and I even clayed it and then pulled it into the garage to start doing some swirl removal.

Good grief, GMC clear coat is *hard* stuff to work. In a little under 2 hours I only managed to completely work the hood with #83, #82 and top it off with some #21. And it still really needs some work from someone with a rotary polisher and more aggressive polishing compounds!

Anyway... the truck probably hadn't been waxed by the previous owner in over a year so it already looks tons better than it did. I'm hopeful that I can at least get it looking good enough to make it through the winter, and then find someone skilled with the rotary to hit it for me next Spring.
    2004 Ford F250 SuperDuty Crew 6.0L Diesel - Black
    2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 - Dark Shadow Gray

Re: Detailing in the winter *****

Cleaner/wax or ColorX is your friends in winter...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Your not the only one thats sick. My wife's Neon em brake froze on her after washing it the day before, she doesn't set the brake anymore.

Last night I did our daughters Lumina, wash, interior cleaned and then got the itch to do our Yukon, I was frozen by the time I was done. Drivers rear door was frozen shut even after drying and sprucing up the interior. That Meguiars interior cleaner in the pink bottle worked wonders on the rug of the Lumina and it smells good too.

I worked on the hood of the Yukon with ScratchX by hand and it still needs work, took over an hour but, I am doing it right as the swirl marks in the hood are quite a bit less than the marks on the rest of the car. The paint is tough, years of abuse by previous owner and yours truly until I found this site

Waiting for Christmas for my G100

Aaron
      Born Again Detailer
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
        That Meguiars interior cleaner in the pink bottle worked wonders on the rug of the Lumina and it smells good too.
        What stuff is that? Only pink good smelling stuff I can think of is Last Touch.
        Scott

Comment

I detail full time professionally and I agree, detailing in cold temperatures $uck$! I wear cotton gloves with neoprene gloves over them. My hands still get cold but that's the breaks, I guess. What I hate even more is that it takes longer and more towels to dry a car when it is cold, especially late in the afternoon.
          Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');