• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exterior Trim Application Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior Trim Application Tool

Hi, what about some sort of tool to make the application of exterior trim detailer a lot more simple and easy. Something that was mentioned in a thread I read, about using and old shoe polish bottle that has the foam head.

What about a dispenser that holds the trim detailer and has a foam head? Or even one that has interchangeable heads to suite different sizes, such as along the thin black strip that runs along the outside edge on top of the roof of some cars, another size to do the trim around windows and another for tires. Also have spare heads for sale for when the foam wheres out.

You get the idea.

Graeme

Re: Exterior Trim Application Tool

Brilliant idea Graeme!! I also having hard time finding the best applicator when applying window rubber lining & other narrow rubber parts

Comment

I like using the side of the even coat applicator for exterior trim.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Graeme you say something like a show cleaner. It could work, it's a good idea

Comment

I have had similar problems as newbie.

I took a paper towel, spritzed the smallest amount of product on the corner and with the pad of my thumb pressed that corner onto the edge of the trim were it interfaced with the glass/paint.

Only the (clean) side edge of my thumb contacted the glass/paint. The pad of the thumb just slid the Paper towel along like applying caulk. Didn't get a speck of product on the glass/paint.

I then took a cheap 1" paint brush, trimmed, shaped and shortened the bristles for more control. Placed the tip of the brush on a towel to absorb the excess product that I spritzed on the brush. Then used the non saturated brush to finish up the body of the trim not touched by the paper towel.

There has got to be an easier, quicker way. Learned all this here, can't remember from who. But it's all I got. Appreciate all the info, hence, this burnt offering.
          Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
          by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Another thing you can do is use one of those 4"x 6" or bigger glossy flyers and with one hand place it against the paint or glass or anything else you don't want to smear. It's worked for me. Just another quick, cheap & effective way to do it.
            Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
            www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
            Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Go to the grocery store or something that has kitchen utensils and what not. You will find a soap dispensing sponge with a handle. Pour in your dressing of choice and go to town. I find it works better if you prime the sponge first too. Works great and I've been using them for years. I paid about $4 for mine and the heads are replaceable too.

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
              2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000
              2007 Ducati Monster 695 Dark

############################
              R-KIVE Studios :: Bringing Visions to Life

Comment

foam paint brushes from the hardware store. They come in a variety of widths and are cheap. You'll have to spray the product onto the brush, but it allows for fairly precise control.

Be careful not to press too hard, there is a metal tab inside some of them that can poke through.
                1992 Mustang 5.0L turbo notchback
                1986 Merkur XR4Ti 2.3L turbo
                1998 Explorer 5.0L

Comment

Building from what WhiteLX said, I prefer the wooden foam brushes that you can get at Michael's, JoAnn's, or any other craft store. I put some product in a small bowl, then dip the brush into the product and apply. It works really well.
                  NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Yeah, I like foam paint brushes and cheap MF towels...
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I use small foam paint brushes

Matt

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');