For those of us in the colder winter climates... - Page 4

View Poll Results: What do you do in the winter when the weather makes it difficult wash your vehicle

Voters
344. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't wash it until the weather breaks.

67 19.48%
  • I put on my ice skates and wash it in the driveway!

55 15.99%
  • I don't like to but I take it to the coin op/automated car wash.

141 40.99%
  • I am hooked up, I wash it in the garage in a t-shirt and shorts!

47 13.66%
  • I don't wash it in the summer, why would I start now?

2 0.58%
  • Other

32 9.30%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of us in the colder winter climates...

Registered Member

Re: For those of us in the colder winter climates...

If it isn't really dirty I get in the car take it to one of the self serve coin washes. Get my quick detailer out, spray the whole car, spray the wheel cleaner on, rinse with nothing but their water. Go for a spirited drive, pull over after a few miles, get a few clean microfibers outta the bag in the trunk, dry what is left, wipe the wheels off, dress the tires. Good to go. Takes about 15-20 mins normally. Works like a charm man.
    -2001 Silverstone Metallic Honda s2000 #8217
    -1997 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Quote Originally Posted by JRauCDM View Post
    I'm pretty fortunate as well... My work is 1/2 mile away, and I have a heated garage at work with a nice car wash bay. All 3 of our vehicles stay pristine, all winter long. If my car is clean once it's home, and it's bad weather or if the roads are gross, I will walk to work rather than get my ride dirty. I have even walked in 0 degree weather to avoid gettin' my '91 Cadillac Brougham dirty. Wife thinks I'm insane!

I can admit this, 'cause you all will understand!

JRau in central Iowa
    Hmmmm, seems perfectly normal to me!

When it's in the 20s or colder, in the heated garage with drain and warm water, in T-shirt and shorts. 30 degree temps (if above freezing) is borderline, almost too cold to wash outside, but the garage is too warm. When it's in the 40s, I prefer to wash outside. Tim has me beat outside though. I don't do ice!

Anyone who washes their car below freezing outside should get some Yaktrax. They fit over any kind of shoe or boot and give amazing traction, even on glare ice! They are available at sporting good stores and other outdoors type stores. They have a website too.

RamAirV1
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

I normally take our cars to the touchless when it gets too cold. Too cold for me is 50 and below . When I do wash outside, I'll fill the wash and rinse buckets with hot water. That way, it's not too bad.

I have been looking at installing an outside hot/cold spigot or sillcock valve, which will probably allow me to wash the car more when it's colder. Anyone have any recommendations with outside hot/cold water?

Quote Originally Posted by kokketiel View Post
    I have been looking at installing an outside hot/cold spigot or sillcock valve, which will probably allow me to wash the car more when it's colder. Anyone have any recommendations with outside hot/cold water?
    I have been thinking of adding a hot water faucet in my garage wouldn't be a problem for me as I have a bathroom sink on the inside of my house exactly where the garage cold water faucet is and where I want the hot water faucet, anyway.....

I do know Menards carries a solid brass two handle(one blue, cold and one read, hot) single faucet version for about $60, seems like a very high quality unit I prefer the two handle style outside.
    EDIT: found a similar photo:

Here is another one that looks like a good idea, I have never seen this one in the store.
    Here is one option:

Most of us don't spend a lot of time thinking about our outdoor faucets. As long as you turn them on and water comes out, we're satisfied. But what if you could get warm or hot water? You could wash the dog outside, rinse off muddy feet, or fill the kiddy pool without giving the young-uns hypothermia. Yes, all this is possible with Moen's hot- and cold-water delivering faucet. It looks a lot like a normal spigot, but the single handle has some added features: push or pull to adjust the water flow and twist to select the temperature. The faucet automatically mixes some cold into the hot to prevent scalding. In addition, a frost-free interior cartridge keeps it from freezing in the winter. The outdoor faucet is available in 8" or 12" lengths, and it will cost you $64 or $68 respectively.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Registered Member

Id love a hot water faucet or something but Id have no way of getting a hot water line anywhere near the driveway. I could always of course get something where I can hook up my hose to my kitchen sink and get a couple of garden hoses and run it around the house to the driveway lol.
    2005 Toyota Camry LE Phantom Grey Pearl
    2001 Toyota Corolla LE Silverstream Opalescent
    1996 Lexus ES300 Ruby Pearl

alberto gorin

i have cold water wel in summer time is is`t cold

Quote Originally Posted by gb387 View Post
    I have been thinking of adding a hot water faucet in my garage wouldn't be a problem for me as I have a bathroom sink on the inside of my house exactly where the garage cold water faucet is and where I want the hot water faucet, anyway.....

I do know Menards carries a solid brass two handle(one blue, cold and one read, hot) single faucet version for about $60, seems like a very high quality unit I prefer the two handle style outside.
    EDIT: found a similar photo:

Here is another one that looks like a good idea, I have never seen this one in the store.
    Here is one option:
    That's what I have in the garage. Good choice, you will like it!

RamAirV1
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Registered Member

well lets see i live in IL and just washed my car on x-mas and it was about 40 outside and the water was cold and i still washed my car becuase i like to keep it clean......but when it snows i will take it to the auto car wash or wait for a sunny day to come

Quote Originally Posted by mshu7 View Post
    If the temp. is 40* or higher, I'll wash by hand.
    Same here, my wife thinks I'm nuts for doing it. If it's any colder than that for an extended period of time, I go to the touchless.

Mike

I live in texas,so this isnt really a big problem. However, when it gets cold,i find that i wash my car less than i would like to.
    '00 Audi A4 1.8 T
    '09 Audi A4 2.0 T Quattro
    Attention to detail is the key to success
    Steve

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information