• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I treat this trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I treat this trim?

Hi, I am unsure of how to treat this trim.

Do I treat it as paint or plastic and rubber?

Thanks

Graeme

Re: How do I treat this trim?

If it's really bare plastic (like bumpers and such) you should treat it like plastic and use vinyl & plastic cleaner and trim detailer.

Otherwise, if it's painted like bumpers these days, you can work it like normal paint.
    showroomglaze.net

Comment

For all the black plastic and rubber on the car I only use one thing.

Interior Shine

Put a little on a small rag, wrap the rag around your finger so as to not get the product on any of the paint because it does not harm it, but it will leave a residue film that is a paint to wipe off.

Now work it into the plastic. The biggest misconception with black plastics is that you simply wipe it over like you are dusting something off. Problem is it looks good for two minutes then gets gross again. With any plastic cleaning product it needs to be worked and rubbed because the plastic absorbs the oils in the cleaner, giving it a shine and clean look.

My brother used to use Peanut Butter.

Comment

Peanut Butter.for shiny plastic ?
        alberto gorin
        known as gorin002

Comment

Dont ask me how but its been used and seems to work, but his is not in a bad enough state to probably warrant its use. The peanut oil has a good effect on fairly deteriorated plastic. But for me I would stick with the Shine.

Comment

Originally posted by gorin002 View Post
            Peanut Butter.for shiny plastic ?
            It would actully be the vegatble oil, or peanut oil that's making the plastic look better, not the peanut butter itself. Just to note, Meguiar's doesn't recommend applying peanut butter to your car.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by madsekci View Post
              If it's really bare plastic (like bumpers and such) you should treat it like plastic and use vinyl & plastic cleaner and trim detailer.

Otherwise, if it's painted like bumpers these days, you can work it like normal paint.

I don't really know what it is. The paint/color is not shiny but flat.

Graeme

Comment

I usually spray a little bit of hyper dressing onto a microfiber applicator & work it into the trim. My car has that same type of trim & it works great.
                Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme View Post
                  I don't really know what it is. The paint/color is not shiny but flat.

Graeme
                  That appears to be a semi-gloss paint similar to the window trim on certain BMW's that I detail. The solution I use is: Meguiar's #26 applied with an applicator, let it stand for a few minutes, and buff with a microfiber towel. The #26 will give it a clean, semi-gloss finish that looks "factory".

Here is a picture of the window trim on an X-5 that I finished recently.

IF (big if) your trim is painted metal, Meg's #26 is the product you want.

Totoland Mach
                  Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Originally posted by hemin8r View Post
                    I usually spray a little bit of hyper dressing onto a microfiber applicator & work it into the trim. My car has that same type of trim & it works great.
                    Hyper Dressing is very exp ($93.00 per gal) here so thats not an option.

Originally posted by Totoland Mach View Post
                    That appears to be a semi-gloss paint similar to the window trim on certain BMW's that I detail. The solution I use is: Meguiar's #26 applied with an applicator, let it stand for a few minutes, and buff with a microfiber towel. The #26 will give it a clean, semi-gloss finish that looks "factory".

Totoland Mach
                    #26 is a wax? If thats the case would next wax work ok?

Graeme

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                      It would actully be the vegatble oil, or peanut oil that's making the plastic look better, not the peanut butter itself. Just to note, Meguiar's doesn't recommend applying peanut butter to your car.
                      wel only wax you can wax your car eat at same
                      can`t done with anny other wax ^-^

would`t be easyer buy regulair vegatble oil ?
                      alberto gorin
                      known as gorin002

Comment

very nice very nice

Totoland Mach[/quote]
                        alberto gorin
                        known as gorin002

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme View Post
                          Hyper Dressing is very exp ($93.00 per gal) here so thats not an option.
                          #26 is a wax? If thats the case would next wax work ok?
                          Graeme
                          Graeme: #26 is a Meguiar's wax. It is used in a lot of detail shops because it doesn't dry white and is one of the best all around waxes made.

I don't know if NXT wax has the same drying properties. If you have some, and you determine the window trim is semi-gloss painted metal, you could try a test spot.

Toto
                          Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Originally posted by Totoland Mach View Post
                            Graeme: #26 is a Meguiar's wax. It is used in a lot of detail shops because it doesn't dry white and is one of the best all around waxes made.

I don't know if NXT wax has the same drying properties. If you have some, and you determine the window trim is semi-gloss painted metal, you could try a test spot.

Toto
                            I believe that the NXT also dries clear.
                            Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                            www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                            Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                              Yeah as this may cause bird attraction or other wildlife and make your car stinky anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');