• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How's my plan for shine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's my plan for shine?

I have a big show coming up and want to really make my car shine. Here's the plan:

1. Clay the car. Hasn't been done for a couple of years.
    2. #9 to get rid of some light swirls and scratches. I'll do this with a random orbital and orange pad.
    3. #7 Glaze
    4. NXT wax
    5. #26 wax for a last coat.

Any thoughts or ideas? Help is greatly appreciated.

Re: How's my plan for shine?

Looks good, here are some notes....

1. Definately get a good wash soap, sponge/mit, and towels also.

2. #9 is very mild, which will be good for mild imperfections. Anything deeper may need #80, but you will have to test an area and see.

3. #7 is good.

4. Waxes - That is a good combo, you could use 2 coats of #26 or top Nxt with the #26. Might want to try a panel of each to see what looks best for you.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post

2. #9 is very mild, which will be good for mild imperfections. Anything deeper may need #80, but you will have to test an area and see.

3. #7 is good.

4. Waxes - That is a good combo, you could use 2 coats of #26 or top Nxt with the #26. Might want to try a panel of each to see what looks best for you.
      could you write out for a white 2006 scion? garage kept. hardly any scratch at all. still in good shape. i dont want to use polish that might be too harsh for the paint, but i would like to keep it clean and shiney. also, i just picked up a spray wax and speed detail. i havent even use it yet, but i am planing to use it this weekend. 3 days off from work. hope the weather here in texas will not be so cold this weekend. oh, what's #7, #9 and number #26? is it Mequairs?

Comment

The #'s are just product numbers for Meguiar's Professional products. You can go to the Detailing 101 forum, and see the top threads, and one gives the "definitions".

The general process works no matter the paint color. Some people think that different waxes might look a little different on different colors, but I have a hard time telling. You might like to swing past autopia.org and check out a thread called "A Lesson from White Paint" by Mike P.

A spray wax and speed detailer are good products to have, but they aren't going to give a deep cleaning or real durable protection like you want. They are more maintenance products for after washes.

Are you working by hand? If you want to keep things as simple as possible, you might do like I have done for my daily driver. I use:

1. Wash - Nxt or Gold Class soap, Grit Guard, etc. Use the two-bucket method for sure. Good sponges ,towels.

2. Clay - Use Smooth Surface Clay every few months.

3. ColorX - This is a great product that is a cleaner/polish/wax all in one.

4. Wax - I like to top the ColorX then with either Nxt Wax or #21 Synthetic Sealant.

Now, for a more complete detail by hand, you can look at using the Deep Crystal Cleaner, and Deep Crystal Polish, and then whichever wax you choose.

Give these threads a read to see more about it.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Comment

I had reviewed one posting a little while ago that a little care needed to be taken when applying NXT on top of #7 but I can't find that posting, and I can’t remember why.

Can someone fill me in on why?
          ---
          Ignorance can be overcome but stupid lasts forever !

Comment

[quote=cv_soccer;154606][COLOR=black]I had reviewed one posting a little while ago that a little care needed to be taken when applying NXT on top of #7 but I can't find that posting, and I can
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,
              It's looks like your reply to my post is missing something. Do you know of the posting that I mentioned in my posting from last night?
              ---
              Ignorance can be overcome but stupid lasts forever !

Comment

can you show us a pictuer of your car after you wax it wash it
                alberto gorin
                known as gorin002

Comment

Whos car?

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post

3. #7 is good.

could you please post photo of #9, #7, #80 and #26? i would like to know what they look like. thanks. scott

Comment

Originally posted by bsk_500 View Post
                      could you please post photo of #9, #7, #80 and #26? i would like to know what they look like. thanks. scott

Merry Xmas

Graeme

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');