• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little disappointed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little disappointed...

Well,today I got started on my black mustang.I watched the video one more time and off I went.

I started with the hood,which is an aftermarket fiberglass hood that has been painted within the past year.It got some scratches from using cheaps and crappy towels.

I stated with #80 and it didnt seem to work.Then on to the #83.It seems better but there are still scratches there.I even tried ScratchX by hand according to the way the video shows,but it only looks marginally better.

I havent tried anything else on the car because to be honest Im alittle disappointed.Im beginning to think I might need either wet-sanding or maybe even some professional help.I followed all the video instructions to the tee and I feel that it might be only a 10% improvement.What do you all think??

Re: A little disappointed...

Originally posted by 97gtdroptop View Post
    I even tried ScratchX by hand according to the way the video shows,but it only looks marginally better.
    I thought the same thing when I used ScratchX, check out my threads about it....

Then this...

Hope it helps

Graeme

Comment

More Passion my man, More Passion!.............this stuff works

Comment

I started with the hood,which is an aftermarket fiberglass hood that has been painted within the past year.It got some scratches from using cheaps and crappy towels.

I stated with #80 and it didn't seem to work.Then on to the #83. It seems better but there are still scratches there.I even tried ScratchX by hand according to the way the video shows,but it only looks marginally better.
        If you properly applied the M80, and then the M83 and neither of these two products removed the defects then either the a paint is too hard and the defects to deep, or removing them will require a rotary buffer and possibly wet sanding.

Besides the deep scratches, did either product restore a better looking finish to the paint overall?
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

M83 is far superior to scratchX when it comes to defect removal. Are you using the 'right' pressure, or rather, enough pressure to remove the defect and still allow the pad to rotate. Are you moving the buffer slow enough to do enough work?

You are allowed to increase the number of passes or the aggressiveness of the tool/pad/product combination.
          2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
          2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I really feel I did everything right.I have a TV and DVD player in my garage and was playing it while i was doing it so I would have some reference.

As Far as "passion" goes,I feel very confident that I used alot of passion,I used the Megs foam applicator pads.I tries multiple passes with the Scratch X,M80 and the M83.

I understand that none of the items Im using are miracle cures,but to be honest I was expecting alittle more in the result dept.

Maybe Ill sale my stuff and leave this to the professionals!!!

Comment

Pictures?

Comment

When you work on your own car and you care about what you're doing, you are professional...

97gtdroptop and I are going to talk over the phone on Monday afternoon and try to trouble shoot this, then if he's still not getting results we'll get together in person and see what can be done.

Rest assured, we will see him through to success.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Maybe Ill sale my stuff and leave this to the professionals!!!
                  I understand you. when I started my road to professional buffing with a rotary, when I did my first black car, man! I got really disappointed too because I couldn't remove the holograms...which ended being excess product smears....the thing here is to take these little unsucessful events not as discouraging events, but as fuel to do a better effort and improve your skills.

challenges and losses will make us stronger and better people (if we decide to do so)
                  " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

Originally posted by Sergei View Post
                    Pictures?

Ok,Ill try to get some pics.Im out the door right now going to the Rosebowl Parade.Ill be back on Monday,Ill call Mike and then Ill take some pics.So for those of you who might have some suggestions,please check this thread again Monday evening.

Thanks for all of your help!!!

Comment

You may need multiple applications of #83 to get the job done. It is going to take awhile to do your hood with #83 and the PC. You have to work small sections at a time and move the PC very slowly.

That sounds like too big of a job for Scratch X. That will take you forever!

In the end it may require the use of a rotary buffer. If the hood is that bad, and it's already been repainted once, you have nothing to lose by trying a rotary. It could be a good learning experience.

RamAirV1
                      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I tried taking some pics but its really hard to see.The paint is in overall excellent condition until you get close than you can see the swirls and cobwebs.

Let me talk about one problem Im having.

When I use the PC,the M83 or what ever Im using is drying very fast is is VERY difficut to remove.

Now I know youre going to say that Im doing it too long,but this is happening after less than 2 minutes of polishing.Am I not using enough product??

Comment

i think you might be going to slowly or not enough product. dont be afraid to use some product on the pad in the shape of an X on the pad from the center almost to the edge
                          custom mobile detailing located in central maine

Comment

if this doesnt work it might be time to try a rotary or seek professional help
                            custom mobile detailing located in central maine

Comment

Originally posted by cmd View Post
                              if this doesnt work it might be time to try a rotary or seek professional help

I know this is what Im thinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');