• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing Engine

How do I detail my engine? What do I need to cover so that it doesn't get wet? What do I use as a cleaner? Any suggestions would be helpful. TIA
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

shuny engine compartment....

to clean your engine compartment you basicly need only two products,and one or two terry cloth towels.
    you'll need extra,all surface cleaner,and next tech protectant,or natural shine.
    first i allways rinse of the most dirt with a hose,be careful,don't use a very strong pressure washer,and don't spray directly to the distributor cap,or spark plug wires,and forget to spray at little boxes with wires coming out of them.
    while still wet,i spray on the extra,wherever i think is nescesary,
    and then i take a brush,to clean those surfaces.when done with that,i tak a towel,and dry everything as good as possible,and then i spray nxt,or natural shine on all plastics and hoses.
    that's about it.
    more questions?feel free to ask them.

ciao,
    Rick

Comment

Check out CD-2 Engine Detailer. It's a resin based product that dries hard and clear. Doesn't attract dust and shines with a natural luster.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

Would it be ok to use orange blast autoshop degreaser? It says you can use it on engines but i want to see if any of you guys have used it.

One more question do you guys spary nxt protectant all over the place ex. valve cover, strut bar, metal frame, anything else.

Comment

I've used it on several cars and it works just fine. KMart had a closeout sale on it last month and I bought a whole case for $12. It is a pretty effective engine degreaser and works well in the fender wells too.
          Jim
          My Gallery

Comment

With all of the electronic sensors now being used in most engine compartments, you would certainly want to be very careful when spraying water or any other type of liquid spray.
            FRANK CANNA
            Mirror Finish Detailing
            23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Hey,

Just to add,

I would be VERY careful when detailing the engine. Modern electronics are very sensitive. Moreover, many products can be quite corrosive to these sensitive areas. But once clean, I would suggest locating a store that still has some Meguiar's Engine Kote in stock. It has been recently discontinued and I have yet to find a replacement that I like as much.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I might add here, on engines with complexly routes hoses that you can't get your hands around to dress (like mine) I use some highly dilluted water based dressing (I guess hyper dressing how would be the replacment) and spray it in to the general area. When dilluted enough it will actually mist out of the sprayer and will get in to all those hard to reach places.
                Later,
                Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
                Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Tim, have you tried Groit's Engine Gloss?

Heated water breaks down water-soluble soiling faster as it reduces overall chemical usage because it reduces the surface tension of the fibre. Heat acts as a catalyst promoting quicker reactions between chemicals and the soil.

·Remove any excess debris; leaves and etc form the hood, grille or air-vent openings.
                  ·Spray all electrical connectors with WD40, which repels water.
                  ·Use cling-film, Saran wrap elastic covers, or aluminium foil to cover any sensors, electrical black boxes, electrical devises that could cause an electrical short-circuits if subjected to water spray.
                  ·This will not guarantee that you wont cause a problem when cleaning an engine bay but it will greatly reduce the risks.
                  ·Start and run the engine to get it warm, not hot, this will enable the de-greaser to work more efficiently on a warm surface.
                  ·Apply an engine de-greaser (Autoglym Engine Cleaner) by lightly spraying the lower parts of the engine first and then working upwards.
                  ·Do not allow the de-greaser to dry or remain on painted surfaces, and be sure to dilute with water and dry with a cloth.
                  ·For heavily soiled areas agitate with a nylon engine cleaning brush and a diluted general purpose cleaner (P21S® Total Auto Wash)
                  ·When the grease and grime is dissolved and you’re ready to remove it, spray with a light pressure water hose.
                  ·Allow the engine compartment to air dry and then thoroughly wipe down all accessible surfaces and then remove cling-film or aluminium foil.
                  ·When everything is dry apply a vinyl/rubber protectant to hoses, shields and wires, and spray engine parts with Engine Coat (Groit’s Spay on Engine Gloss)
                  ·Wipe off any excess with a clean cloth and apply a wax/sealant protection to painted surfaces.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon
                  justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *
                  ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');