• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Longest lasting, NXT Tech Wax or M21?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longest lasting, NXT Tech Wax or M21?

Having recently read a couple of references to NXT Tech Wax being Meguiar's most durable wax brings a question to my mind.
    Is NXT more durable than M21 or even M20 for that matter?
    If someone was to have asked me about Meg's most durable product, I would have steered them to M21. M21 rather than M20 since it is the latest relase sealant.
    While NXT seems to be a good product, I didn't put it in the same league as M21 when it comes to durability.
    Am I wrong? (again)
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Re: Longest lasting, NXT Tech Wax or M21?

From my personal experience, I would rank #21 and #20 above NXT. I've detailed many-a-car w/ NXT and have found that the water ceases beading in about a month. Whether or not that is the true indication of durability, I don't know???

I've always reached for #20 as my winter protectant (before #21 was around) and have had water bead on my vehicles for 6+ months. I've had similar results recently w/ #21.

Hope that helps!
    1999 Ford Contour SVT
    Silver Frost/Midnite Blue
    1966/2760

Comment

Originally posted by mike_svt View Post
      Whether or not that is the true indication of durability, I don't know???
      Thanks for the response.
      Like you, I don't really know if the water beading is a true indication of durability or not. I have read that it isn't and all it means is that it no longer beads water. (Duh)
      My personal vehicles rarely go longer than 4 weeks before anothe LSP is applied so my concern is more for giving the correct information to friends that ask about what products to use.
      NXT is so user friendly that it seems like a good one to recommend and if it does have good durability, great. Most of the people I know feel that once or twice a year is all the waxing that a vehicle needs.
      Charles
      The Rainmaker

Comment

Meguiar's claims that NXT is their best protecting wax, this means of all the things that will come into contact with the paint with the intention of harming it in some fashion, NXT will do the best job of slowing down and helping to prevent the harm.

The current marketing copy states it provides extreme durability, however that doesn't necessarily going to bead water for a long time.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I hate to break it down to lawyer talk but...

Best protecting does not equal longest lasting.

Extreme durabilty does not indicate it lasts longer than any other Meguiar's product.

While I appreciate the inability to compare to other brands, especially on one's own bottle, it seems easy enough to say, this is our longest lasting product and also provides the best protection. Currently it seems (rather intentionally) nebulous.

Comment

I've seen sprinkler etching with Z2Pro after a little more than 1 hour exposure (full sun). Durability, yes - protection, not. Just as heavy carnaubas seem to proterct more physically from bird attacks, etc., they may not be the most durable (i.e. longest lasting) but they protect exceedingly well.

I'm getting regularly 4 months out of NXT paste, and this is an interesting phenomenon. True, the product can lose the extreme beading of its early days, but at the end of its life cycle, you can observe how does it work. When the water pools on the surface (which seems totally unprotected that way), just stay calm. Watch the water evaporate, and when the water film is thin enough, the NXT polymers are suddenly able to break it up again and you'll have a nice sheeting action. This proves that the polymers are still there.

When the water film just stands there, clings and shows no signs of breaking up... well, no protection.

Comment

True Bence, I'm experincing this effect from Nxt & GC too. The sheeting action. Cool..... Durability is not really an issue for me as I wax my car every Sunday. Since I got nothing else to do in my life on Sunday & detailing is my hobby.

Comment

I'm with you on the fact that some sealants offer very little protection. In fact the reason I'm back with Meguiars is some water spotting after religious use of Z2. I also noticed extreme etching. It seems some people are finally starting to wake up to that fact. The irony of it all was back in 98 or 99 when I first got hooked on zaino, there were guys complaining about water spotting, I just dismissed it. Should have listened. Now I'm going #21 with a topper of #16 or #26 depending on the color of the car. It may not bead as long but I don't have to run to get bird poo off as soon as it hits either.

All I'd like to see is Meguiars say, THIS is our longest lasting LSP product.

Comment

Originally posted by yakky View Post
                  I'm with you on the fact that some sealants offer very little protection. In fact the reason I'm back with Meguiars is some water spotting after religious use of Z2. I also noticed extreme etching. It seems some people are finally starting to wake up to that fact. The irony of it all was back in 98 or 99 when I first got hooked on zaino, there were guys complaining about water spotting, I just dismissed it. Should have listened. Now I'm going #21 with a topper of #16 or #26 depending on the color of the car. It may not bead as long but I don't have to run to get bird poo off as soon as it hits either.

All I'd like to see is Meguiars say, THIS is our longest lasting LSP product.
                  I noticed F body users complaining about water spots too. Was this from rain or from rinsing during a car wash. I have never, ever had water spots from rain. Now from an outdoor water faucet, that's another story!

My point is I think it would be very unusual to have water spots that etch into the paint from rain. Unless of course it is acid rain.

At any rate, no etching with #21, and not much with NXT Paste if you apply at least once per month.

RamAirV1
                  2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                  2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

i really like NXT. not sure why.

i do give it a wax every two weeks so the durability issue isn't a problem for me.

its beads real well for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');