• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to remove pinstripe on fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to remove pinstripe on fender

Hi, i just recently bought a used fender from a junkyard for my Grand Cherokee, the fender colors match and all but the pinstripe does not match mine. How do i removed the pinstripe paint another one? the pinstripe is not a sticker type, more like paint on pinstripe, but i can feel it on the fender when i run my hands over it. the question is how to remove that pinstripe without hurting the rest of the fender (cringe teeth) or i was thinking about painting over it it but the lines are not really in line with the rest of the car, slightly off.

Re: how to remove pinstripe on fender

I've got good news and I've got bad news, assuming we're talking an earlier model ZJ Grand (93-98... I'm less familiar with the WJ-style bodies).

The good news is that it's stripe tape -- a sticker -- and in theory could be peeled off.

The bad news is that from the factory, the stripe tape is applied before clearcoating, and is under your clear. So there's no way to remove it without doing a respray of the entire panel.

That said, a few vehicles escaped the factory with the stripe tape above the paint, in which case you can peel it off easily. If your fender isn't from one of them, it's paintin' time.

Comment

Originally posted by hkpohah View Post
      Hi, i just recently bought a used fender from a junkyard for my Grand Cherokee, the fender colors match and all but the pinstripe does not match mine. How do i removed the pinstripe paint another one? the pinstripe is not a sticker type, more like paint on pinstripe, but i can feel it on the fender when i run my hands over it. the question is how to remove that pinstripe without hurting the rest of the fender (cringe teeth) or i was thinking about painting over it it but the lines are not really in line with the rest of the car, slightly off.
      3M makes a buffing pad of some type that attaches to a rotary buffer that's supposed to remove pin-striping safely.

Plastic razor blade? Then remove any scratches from the plastic razor blade after the fact.

One of our forum members recently did this, it took hours and hours.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The 3M sticker wheels work great on stickers,(on newer stripes, older ones can pull up paint), it sounds like the poster has a painted on stripe.

Comment

Originally posted by hkpohah View Post
          the pinstripe is not a sticker type, more like paint on pinstripe, but i can feel it on the fender when i run my hands over it.
          A slower re-reading picks out the pertinent line, thanks yakky

In the case of a painted on pin stripe, if it's factory and it's on top of the clear then it's possible for a very talented person to carefully sand it off and then carefully remove their sanding marks, but the risk of burning any high points such as a fender line exist if the pin strip is next to such a high point. Definitely not the way to learn how to wet-sand and use a rotary buffer.

If the pinstripe is aftermarket paint, it's possible you could rub it off with something like ScratchX with a little passion behind the pad, depends on the type of paint used. You could always try to see what you can do.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I agree with Mike, what's the worst that can happen, you have to get the fender painted? LOL

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');