• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Web Hosting and Domain Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Hosting and Domain Registration

Anyone have any suggestions for a place to register a domain name and host a website? I'd like to register the domain for now and then when I get more time someday put something up on it. I've only used OLM in the past and had nothing but problems. Also I noticed that some places offer registering the domain in your name as opposed to under there's I guess. Is this something I should watch for? I don't want them to decide they can sell my domain or something. I was thinking of going with aplus.net, but I really don't know much about this stuff.

Remember MOL rule #7... No clickable links. I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

Thanks in advance!
    Scott

Re: Web Hosting and Domain Registration

I have all of my names (lots of them!) registered with register dot com. I have their sites hosted on my free spaces I get with my earthlink DSL. If you don't have any free space already, I think you can buy space at Register.

I have used them for years and have never had any problems at all.

Comment

Network Solutions is another one to check out. They do both & if you buy a hosting package, the domain registration is included.

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Tillmanator View Post
        I have all of my names (lots of them!) registered with register dot com. I have their sites hosted on my free spaces I get with my earthlink DSL. If you don't have any free space already, I think you can buy space at Register.

I have used them for years and have never had any problems at all.
        I had Register.com and I did not like them much. They sold my domain a couple days before it due. There was somekind of communication erreo. I lost my domain and now it is a nudie site. The domain has my first and last name in it. I can't wait for my aunt or my sister to go to what they think is my site, and then I will get a call. "Um... Shawn....Is there something you want to tell us?"

So I am not a fan of Register.com. I now use Godaddy.com!
        You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximusZTS View Post
          I had Register.com and I did not like them much. They sold my domain a couple days before it due. There was somekind of communication erreo. I lost my domain and now it is a nudie site. The domain has my first and last name in it. I can't wait for my aunt or my sister to go to what they think is my site, and then I will get a call. "Um... Shawn....Is there something you want to tell us?"

So I am not a fan of Register.com. I now use Godaddy.com!
          Now that's a funny story. That's just what I don't want to happen.

Thanks for the input everyone.
          Scott

Comment

1and1 it's great. I think mines 5.99 for a domain and 2.99 a month for 2 domains. It's been a good service. For referance, I use it for photographz.net and electricgreenmustangregstry.com and both sites were built with thier free templates.

Comment

Originally posted by electricgreen View Post
              1and1 it's great. I think mines 5.99 for a domain and 2.99 a month for 2 domains. It's been a good service. For referance, I use it for photographz.net and electricgreenmustangregstry.com and both sites were built with thier free templates.

Those are both neat little sites. I like the photography one!
              You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

That's kind of pricey. Network Solutions works out to about 2.80/month for one & less if you buy more than a year.

Cheers
                Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Ringwraith View Post
                  That's kind of pricey. Network Solutions works out to about 2.80/month for one & less if you buy more than a year.

Cheers
                  Sean
                  I pay $30 a year for my site. $30/12= $2.5

I got my domain at godaddy and I use dayanahost for my web hosting. It is about $15 from each.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringwraith View Post

Cheers
                    Sean
                    You get two domains with the pacakge-new ones are $5.99 additional to buy. There's a lot of free templates to use if you're like me and can't write HTML, and a blog, photoalbum, Each page and the site can have up to 1000 characters of keywords for seo also, and the will submit a site map to google for you too.

Thanks for the compliments on my sites! The Photography one is brand new...

Comment

For web hosting, I really like dreamhost. They offer an insane amount of space, almost 200 gigs for $8 a month so I use them to back up all my files and anything else I can think of. That $8 also includes one free domain registration. They have so many features that I couldn't even begin to put them in this thread. I would however caution you against registering your domain with your web hosting provider. When things go south, good luck asking them to transfer that domain name to another registrar. For domain name registration, I really like gkg.net .

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');