• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC 7424 Carbon Brush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC 7424 Carbon Brush

Hi Guys! Was just wondering if anyone knows how to change the carbon brush of a PC 7424 and when it should be replaced? It says in the manual that you have to bring it to a porter cable service center when you want the carbon brush replaced and it is not like the Makita RB wherein the carbon brush is easily accessible. The thing is is I live in the Philippines and we don't have a Porter Cable service center here i got my PC when i was in the U.S three years ago. Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
    SYDSTER

Re: PC 7424 Carbon Brush

Hey Sydster....I checked into this myself because I like to take care of my own tools withough having to rely on an outside shop. Yu can download schematics of the 7424/7336 @ Porter Cables webiste. You first have to creat a profile in their "Service Net" Directory. Then is will show location of brushes and offer info on how to purchase the brushes. The tough part is, the brushes are enclosed in the body of the polisher and so you have to disassemble the entire rear/bottom portion of the polisher.
    I have yet to do this myself since it looked fairly involved.

Comment

Hey,

I have worn out one PC and I have another one that is making bearing noise as well.

The brushes are tough to get at. You have to disassemble the head and body to expose the brushes. They are held in place by a tiny torx head screw, if I remember correctly. The problem is not replacing the brushes, it is having that small of a torx screwdriver! It is a real odd-ball size. After that, you have to replace the brush and watch that little spring that holds the brush in place is not damaged.

Here is "my" schematic:

I hope that helps!

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

What is the rated life on those carbon brushes? Over hundred hours?

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
          ... The problem is not replacing the brushes, it is having that small of a torx screwdriver! It is a real odd-ball size. ...
          The tiny TORX sizes are used a lot in the electronics industry. If you have trouble finding the right size TORX driver at a hardware store you can check with suppliers that serve electronics manufacturing and/or service outfits.

PC.

Comment

Paul,

Would Radio Shack be a good source for these?
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
              The tiny TORX sizes are used a lot in the electronics industry. If you have trouble finding the right size TORX driver at a hardware store you can check with suppliers that serve electronics manufacturing and/or service outfits.

PC.
              Are these the ones like the TORX that are T1, T2....T10. I think I might have set of these
              Patrick Yu
              2003 Honda Accord
              2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Thanks a lot 2hotford and TheFiveO!
                SYDSTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                  ...Would Radio Shack be a good source for these?
                  They have a few different tool sets with a few sizes of TORX drivers but they don’t have the full range.

They’re a consumer electronics place. They don’t have much in the way of professional grade tools (or supplies). (But I can confidently say that every electronics professional has had to sneak out and buy something from them at some point in their career). It’s kind’a like the difference between Pep Boys and a PBE store.

Originally posted by sneek View Post
                  Are these the ones like the TORX that are T1, T2....T10. I think I might have set of these
                  Yes, that’s them. I’m not sure what the full range is. I think I've seen sizes T1 through T60.

The smallest size Radio Shack had on their website was T6.

I don’t know what size the G100 uses (haven’t taken mine apart, yet). Maybe 2hotford can rummage through his tool box and figure out what size it takes? (That’s a subtle hint Tim )

PC.

Comment

Yeah yeah.... I just went an looked. It was the T10 Torx. Most tool kits stop at T20, so you will need to step down 2 more sizes.

I hope that helps!

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Item 320071643581 on ebay is for a pair of brushes - $5.95 + $2.25 shipping. Ends in 23 hours ( Jan-20-07 17:12:03 PST).

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
                        Yeah yeah.... I just went an looked. It was the T10 Torx. …
                        Thanks Tim!

Now everybody knows what to look for.

I’m set. I have T10 in driver, L-key and insert bit.

And Radio Shack’s website shows four tool sets that include T10.

PC.

Comment

There's a Marvac Dow shop a few blocks from me, I'd consider that a "PBE" type store, that place is like an electical wonderland.
                          -Brad
                          Shine Masters Pasadena, CA
                          shine-masters.com

Comment

Yup. That’s the kind of place I was talking about.

PC.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');