• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G100A vs Porter Cable speed selections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G100A vs Porter Cable speed selections

I am a newbie to Meguirars products and a friend helped me do some detailing work on my new 2007 Toyota Highlander.

I applied some NXT wax by hand then then removed the wax using his Porter Cable polisher with a foam pad and bonnet over the foam pad. I do not recall a speed setting on his Porter Cable unit I simply turned it on and remove my NXT was and it worked great.

I was so impress I ordered a bunch of products from ADS including a G100A with a W8006 foam pad and I plan on using the Meguiars Super Plush Thick Microfiber DA Polisher Bonnets to remove my NXT paste wax.

I did locate the chart of suggested speeds based on pad type etc. and it suggest a speed of 2-4 for that foam pad type but doesn't talk about using a Microfiber Polisher Bonnet.

So here are my questions

1) Where is the G100A speed selector located on the polisher ?
    2) Does the PC model not have this feature ?
    3) Since I am going to be using a Microfiber Bonnet over the top of the W8006 to remove my NXT paste wax does the suggested speed setting of 2-4 still apply ?

Sorry if this post is a repeat but I did some searching and couldn't locate much information on how to set the speeds on the G100A and I could not locate a users guide or online manual for the G100A.

Plus my G100A has not arrived at my house yet but I like to research things a bunch before I attempt to do them myself for the first time.

Thanks a bunch

Re: G100A vs Porter Cable speed selections

Originally posted by TomRaz View Post
    1) Where is the G100A speed selector located on the polisher ?
    The speed selector is on the end of the motor its the red dial with settings 1-6. Take note that Meguiars does not recommend the use of speed 6.

2) Does the PC model not have this feature ?
    All PC's manufactured by Porter Cable including the Meguiars G100 has the same speed selector with the same speeds 1-6. I am unsure what that translates to as for an actual speed or oscillations.

3) Since I am going to be using a Microfiber Bonnet over the top of the W8006 to remove my NXT paste wax does the suggested speed setting of 2-4 still apply ?
    I believe the speed setting for wax removal with your PC is 4-5, I use 4 and it works very well.

-------

Hope that helps! Really using a PC is very straight forward you shouldn't have any trouble of course if you have questions ask away!
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Thanks for the reply and I found the PC to be very easy to use and I will double check with my friend to see what his PC speed was set to.

I am assuming the setting of 1 is the slowest speed and 6 being the fastest speed setting ?

Is the G100a safe on any setting ? i.e. you can't harm the paint ?

Comment

Thanks for the reply and I found the PC to be very easy to use and I will double check with my friend to see what his PC speed was set to.

I am assuming the setting of 1 is the slowest speed and 6 being the fastest speed setting ?

Is the G100a safe on any setting ? i.e. you can't harm the paint ?
        Yes speed 1 is the slowest and speed 6 fastest

Yes the G100 is safe on any setting (but Megs do not recomend using speed6) although some common sense is required like..........don't have it sitting on the same spot motionless for ages.

Also Megs recommend using the bonnet over the Burgandy pad (W-7006) for removal, although I find it just as effective to remove by hand.

As for speeds most here in the UK spread on speed 1 then bump the speed up to 5 and work product to a finish, that's for polish on a W-8006 pad.

Use the W-9006 pad for applying glaze & wax with the PC set to speed 3.

Bryan

Comment

Blr123 mentioned using the W7006 as a backing for a bonnet, he is correct, Meguiars does recommend it as the backing. But you can use the W8006, I have used both and the W7006 is deffinetley the better option.

Have you seen this link yet? Product, Pad and Speed settings for the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Yes I have seen that link and the strange thing for NXT wax it lists the W8006 pad but I did order a W7006 with my G100A.

Thanks again for everyones input

Comment

Yes I have seen that link and the strange thing for NXT wax it lists the W8006 pad but I did order a W7006 with my G100A.

Thanks again for everyones input
              You can use either the W-8006 or the W-9006 pad to apply NXT Tech Wax, typically if you use the W-8006 pad to remove defects, thus now you're working on a defect-free finish, then in keeping with taking the paint to it's maximum potential, you would then apply your wax using an even softer pad than the W-8006 which is the W-9006 finishing pad.

Paint is a delicate coating that is easily scratched and dulled, so the idea is to always be mindful of your pad and product choice coupled with your technique.

You can use either pad however, at our Saturday classes we show the cleaning step with the yellow polishing pad and the waxing step with the softer tan finishing pad. We remove the dried wax using the maroon cutting pad with a bonnet over the top of it.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Here's an article we wrote on how to use the polisher...

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mike. I am planning on applying my NXT wax by hand and then using a G100A with a W7006 pad with a microfiber DA polisher bonnets.

Does this sound like a good combination of pads and bonnets to remove NXT wax ?

Also looking at the chart you posted for the suggested speeds for the G100A I would pick in the 2-4 range for a speed setting.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');