• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Invitation - Mercedes-Benz Extreme Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Invitation - Mercedes-Benz Extreme Makeover

Mercedes-Benz Extreme Makeover!

Open invitation...

If you live in the SoCal area, and would like to help be a part of the team that gives the below Mercedes-Benz and Extreme Makeover, then be at Meguiar
    By hand using products like ScratchX followed by Deep Crystal Polish and then Tech Wax?
    10.13%
    By hand using ColorX?
    1.69%
    Using the G-100 Dual Action Polisher with ColorX?
    10.13%
    Using the G-100 Dual Action Polisher with products from the Professional Line?
    43.46%
    Using the Rotary Buffer and products from the Professional Line?
    34.60%
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

I voted before seeing the "after the wash" pics, but I still think that the best way to bring the finish back is with a rotary & some of the pro products.

You could probably get good results with a PC, Color-X & NXT, but the rotary method would get a lot quicker with less effort.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

honestly.... If possible I think this would be a great vehical to see a all of the above done!

Would it be possible to video tape you doing each of the processes? I think it would be great to see what the results would be after each process!

If thats not possible I would love to see this all acomplished by hand.

Comment

I couldn't vote, I didn't see the option of a paint gun That paint looks terrible!

Originally posted by Focusedonsound
        honestly.... If possible I think this would be a great vehical to see a all of the above done!
        Yea, I think using different methods on different sections of the hood or something would be interesting to see.

ColorX and/or ScratchX by hand and pro products by DA and rotary. Let us see what the least aggressive product does, and how the more aggressive products compare. I'll vote for rotary and pro products in the poll though.

I think that the results should be amazing with anything you choose, Mike. You seem to have the magic touch

Comment

on what scrapheap was that stored?

Hi,Mike,

i don't know where you found this one,but it looks like this vehicle needs complete reanimation.
          if it was me working on this car,i woul'n't dare to touch it with a rotary,because i wouldn't take the risk,of going through the paint.
          i would start with a good wash,then clay,then the orbital with bodyscrub,then a good rub with dc polish,and then i would use color x.
          what do you think about this approach?
          please let me know what you think,i like to know if i'm on the right track on tis.

ciao,
          Rick
          Last edited by the newbie; Sep 20, 2004, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Mike

I will plan to be there. This is perfect timing.

This saturday I plan to work on my daughter-in-law's suv. It's a mid 90s suv with 160,000 miles on it and it has never been waxed....and it's black....and it has a dented rear fender. I asked her if I could use it to practice with my new Makita rotary buffer and she said sure, you can't hurt it since it is pretty worn.

So, I would love to help you on this project and hopefully get some great tips on the rotary.

Also, will you be ordering dinner out? Or should I plan to eat before I get there?

Looking forward to learning a lot from the expert!

-Bob
            -Bob
            NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Originally posted by RDVT4ME
              Also, will you be ordering dinner out? Or should I plan to eat before I get there?

-Bob
              Hi Bob,

You should probably plan on eating before you get here, once the work begins, there won't be no lunch break.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike.....can I bring you anything for dinner?
                -Bob

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Thank you Bob, but I ate a big lunch, so I'll be okay. Once we get going, it's hard to stop.

Newport Viper is going to be here also, it's always fun when he brings his Viper down here because the finish on his Viper really does look like it's wet.

Another friend, David, is going to stop in with his yellow Honda S-2000 and his finish looks wet also.

Mike
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I assume it depends how hard hard that paint is. I suppose you should start off with the PC and maybe MPPC?

BTW, how soft is that Rolls Royce paint? My impression from reading about it is that it's pretty soft
                    my product collection-- New !
                    My Detailing Credo
                    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

Finished!

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Looks great! Now what products/process did you use on this one?

Comment

Wow! Great job there, a real transformation.

What products and application method did you end up using? And how long did it take?

Thanks,

Dave.

Comment

Hey Mike

Did you get any sleep last night?

Thanks for all your great tips! You are truely a master craftsman!

-Bob
                            -Bob

Comment

EXTREME makeover

the master showing his students!!!!!

what a great improvement,this really came out great!
                              i didn't expect this kind of gloss,and Mike,that's not because i don't believe in your skills.
                              What did you use,beside new paint?
                              I bet the owner of this one kissed you all over,and is stil doing a happy dance.
                              ciao,
                              Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');