• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*** '99 Grand Prix made new again ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: *** '99 Grand Prix made new again ***

its a good job!

Comment

I am very impressed that this is your first job. And I am encouraged by your work. My dad still has his first brand new car a 53 Chevy. He restored it about 15 years ago and also has an 84 El Dorado Barritz. But his daily driver is a 95 Mitsubishi Mirage that we've had in the family for about 10 years. He does wash it, but it's had a rough life, never in a garage. I plan on using it to practice on and if I can get it 1/4 as nice as what you've done here, I'll be estatic.

Comment

Thanks for the kind compliments, Lucky.

I'll have to admit the G-100 did most of the work; I would have never attempted the vehicle without it. If you don't have a PC or G-100 you could always try what I did. My dad had recently had my mother's vehicle "detailed" at the local car wash. He says they clayed it, buffed it, then put a coat of wax on it. They cleaned the carpets and wiped down the interior and cleaned the engine. All for $116. He wanted to take the Pontiac down there and have them work their magic. However, I knew they did not deserve his business again because my mother's car wasn't up to par. The finish did not feel as though it had been clayed, there were swirl marks, and the interior wasn't cleaned, just wiped down with dressing. I told my dad that he should let me do the Pontiac and knowing how much of a detail freak I am, the job would turn out so much better than if they did it. He was hesitant so I told him to go get a quote on it from the car wash and I would match the price (but do a way better job). He never went down to get a quote; he called a day later and said $200. I took an advanced payment from him and ordered the G-100 from ADS. I also ordered the extras that I needed. After completing the job, my dad gave me a $100 tip because he was so impressed. So overall, everything I bought to complete the job was paid for. Now I have a G-100, various pads, microfiber bonnets, microfiber cloths, M83, M80, NXT Wax, Speed Detailer, claybar, Scratch X, PlastX, Interior Detailer, Glass Cleaner, #40, and several other things I'm leaving out.
        A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Lucky, that was a long post to say - get your dad to pay you for your work. Then use that money to buy a PC or G-100. You may have to put some of your own money in with the money your dad gives you but it will certainly be worth it in the long run.
          A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Good suggestions cn. My dad is fairly generous when it comes to money, but on the other hand he is also pretty cynical. So I'll do this while he's got his 53 or his Caddy at a car show. Otherwise he just worries about what can go wrong or why I am wasting time on that old beater.
            The way I see it, I need the experience and practice and since this car is in about the worst possible shape appearance wise, I should get plenty of both. Anything will be an improvement and mistakes, even almost disasterous ones won't really hurt anything.
            Assuming all goes well, then I'll offer to work on his Caddy, which unfortunately has to sit outside all the time. He does show it, but it takes more work because of that, but they have a 2 car garage and mom's car gets one side and the 53 gets the other.

Comment

Sound like you have a great situation. You have an older car that can end up being a fantastic "test bed" to practice your skills and different products on. Also, with a weathered vehicle, like my father's, there is that potential to make an unbelievable difference in the vehicle's appearance. Anyone can make a new car look great. It takes the right products and the right application skills, however, to make an abused and neglected vehicle look new. I'm certainly rooting for you.

When you get done with the Mitsu, you can really impress your father by taking care of the Caddy or even the '53. I think when he see's the end result on the Mitsu he will be happy to have you work your magic on the other cars.

Comment

Car would look better if it had a 3800 under the hood otherwise good job

Comment

Originally posted by polaris View Post
                  Car would look better if it had a 3800 under the hood...
                  I would disagree. I feel pretty confident saying you couldn't look at the car and tell if it had a Corvette engine in it with the hood down. The motor doesn't change the appearance of a car.

Originally posted by polaris View Post
                  otherwise good job
                  Thanks.

Colin

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');