• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having trouble with #83

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble with #83

Hello all, this is my first post on the board.. seems very informative and helpful.

Ok here's my problem, I tryed using Meguiars #83 on the porter cable 7424. The instructions on the bottle said to work until dry... I was having to buff off alot of material, a friend of mind says you shouldn't have to the product should be like dust when you've worked it in enough. I know I did something wrong because I didn't get any result really, the vehicle is a 2003 Mach 1 that has quite a bit of swirling/ marring.. I bought the vehicle in the winter ( was my only car at time) so I had to take it through the car was a few times. Unfortunatley It swirled my paint good and I'm trying to get rid of em'.

a little more information I started with the speed at 3 then cranked up to 4-4.5 I was using a yellow meguiars pad. Didn't work out to well, all the swirls are still there. any advice?

Hi 1badstang,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online

A couple of things, if you're trying to remove swirls, you will need to run the PC at the 4.5 to 5.0 setting, applying around 4-5 pounds of pressure to the head of the polisher.

Also, you only want to work a small area at a time, somewhere around the distance of 3-4 widths of a Meguiar;s W-8006 foam pad. In either a square or a rectangular shape depending on the surface.

Don't try to work to large of an area at once. Instead, work a smaller area and when you start a new section/area, overlap into the previous area.

Also, you need to move the polisher slowly over the surface. Most of the time when teaching people to use the PC, the three mistakes they all have in common, (which we correct with hands on training), is,

They run the polisher at too slow of a speed
    They don't apply enough pressure to the pad
    They move the polisher over the surface to quickly

Practice these areas, and don't over use the product and then check your results.

Mike

p.s.

During the Mercedes-Benz Extreme Make over tomorrow night, I'll take some pictures to help show technique.

Open Invitation - Mercedes-Benz Extreme Makeover
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

You might be able to remove the swirls and marring with a pc and DACP, but it is going to take a lot of time,especially if you have a dark color. You may want to have a good pro detailer get out the swirls with a rotary buffer and then you can maintain it with your pc.

One trip through a carwash can really make a mess of a vehicle's finish. Not to worry -- a pro can get swirls and marring out.

Back to your application method. You are probably using too much product. Also you work the DACP until it is *almost* dry. Work it too long and you cause more marring. You might want to set the pc at 5 and just hang on.

What would I do? I'd probably keep at it with my pc and DACP. I'd work on one section of my vehicle until it was right and then I'd move on to another section. In the past, I've used DACP with Meguiar's burgandy pad and my pc set at 5. Then I followed up with a polishing pad and #82 Swirl Free Polish. Some folks say that is pretty darned agressive, but if that's what it takes, do it.

Tom

Comment

thanks for the replies guys I think thats exactly what I am going to try to do. I'm gonna keep at it.

Mike,
        It seems to me like I fit into all 3 of those categorys you mentioned LOL. that helped alot. That would be great if you could take some pictures.. if you could, could you please snap a picture of picture that shows the start of the application and then one just when you are about to finish

Thanks alot for you help guys!

Nick

Comment

I'm also facing a small problem with #83 + W8006 combo. It kept on producing lots of polishing residue/dust, making clean-up abit hard. Also, to prevent from mass clean-up, I had to spend some time to mask certain parts of the car with plastic drop cover.
          zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Make sure you're not applying it out in the sun, a hot surface could be making it dry too quickly.

Comment

Hey,

You should be left with only a slight residue/dust after buffing. Since you are getting a fair amount of dust, this sounds like you are either using too much product or as another poster mentioned, the surface was too hot causing the product to break down too quickly.

Also make sure to clean your pad with a towel or a plastic brush after about every 2 panels or so. If the pad is saturated, that could be part of the problem as well.

Please keep us posted!!
              Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hey! Thanks for the tip! I think the edge of my pad is caked up with some #83. I guess it's time to wash up with dish washing liquid!

Comment

Triton, I think you solve'd my problem. I wasn't working out in the sun but, my car was sitting in the sun for awhile and it went right from the sun into the garage to get polished, I didn't give it any cool down time and I remember the surface being hot but I didn't think anything of it.

Comment

That is probably the problem. The surface was way too hot.

Please give it another try on a cooler surface and then post back.

Tim

Comment

You can also spray some Quik Detailer, or some Final Inspection onto the residue to help with wipe-off.

Mike
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

ahh I finally got results! I figured what the hell, I'll wash it and test it out now before work. So I did, quick detailed the hood and clayed it. let it sit in my garage and cool off. after about a half hour of cooling, I decided I'd take #83 and try a lakewood cutting pad that my buddy gave, I used the PC on 4.5 using slow smooth motions and applying about 4 lbs of pressure.. I worked the product in good, until basically dry. Buffed it off with ease using mf towel, I inspected where I did in many different angles of light in my garage and to my suprise... no swirls! so I pulled the car outside thinking this can't be real.. checked it out in the sunlight AWESOME NOT A SWIRL THERE!! I'm finally getting the hang of it

Comment

That is so cool!!!

I am very glad it is working out for you!!!

Tim

Comment

here's my recommendations for people having trouble,

if your using #83
                            make sure you use 4 or 4.5 speed setting, take your time keep moving just move slowly.. don't get crazy use a consistent motion of the DA, you'll know when you worked it in long enough because you'll be able the product really dry looking, it'll have a slight haze. I'd recommend starting off with a least abbrasive product as possible then move up, for me I tryed using my buddy's 1Z Metallic polish and it was just not strong enough, and the next thing closest I had was #83 and it cleared things up very nicely, don't be afraid with the DA it seems real hard to do damage with it

Comment

Hi all, I've just washed my pad, wow, took out lotsa residues! It took me quite some time to detach the pad from the backing plate. It's so tightly held! After I detached the pad, I found out a few pieces of hook stuck on the pad's loop! These hooks are from the backing plate. Do you all have this problem? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');