• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring Anodized wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring Anodized wheels

I just picked up a set of 3 piece wheels which have an anodized lip. They are in decent shape, but could use a little work. I plan to clean them up first with soap and water, followed by an few applications of the multipiece wheel cleaner to clean up the back of the wheel. This is where I'm unsure of where to proceed. There seems to be some embedded dirt in the surface, which I would like to treat with a claybar. Is it safe to claybar an anodized wheel? Following the claybar, is there a cleaner/polish such as DC1 or scratch-x that can be used on the anodized lip to remove any residue/oxidation on the surface of the anodized lip? Once they are prepped, I plan to give them a coat of M21 for protection from further damage, but I just want to bring back the finish as best as I can without damaging the finish. Any help would be appreciated

Re: Restoring Anodized wheels

no one?

Comment

I have a set of anodized Fuchs rims. I've read a little about them, but I'm not sure about some things.

First, the anodized coating is very porious and a lot of grime will get permanently stuck on them.

Second, I would not use any cleaner on these wheels just to be on the safe side and protect your investment.

Third, I'm almost positive that claying these rims would be fine. I have never had an instance where clay actually hurt anything! I would be shocked if it did because clay is so gentle.

As for coatings, I would not suggest that you use a cleaner wax, although it probably would be ok. I do know for a fact that #21, #20, NXT, #26, #16, and GC Wax will be perfectly safe to use on any wheel. #21 is preferred, however because of its ability to last longer and resist dirt and help protect.
      Chris
      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

You can clay and wax the anodized wheel, but other than that there's not much you can do to restore an anodized surface.

Sorry didn't get back to you sooner, we were teaching a class on Saturday, (when you posted your question), and we try to take Sunday off to spend time with our family.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          You can clay and wax the anodized wheel, but other than that there's not much you can do to restore an anodized surface.

Sorry didn't get back to you sooner, we were teaching a class on Saturday, (when you posted your question), and we try to take Sunday off to spend time with our family.
          Thanks for the reply. So that means a no on the DC1 or scratch-X? Wouldn't DC-1 provide a bettwer surface for the M21 to bond to or is that not the case on anodization?

Comment

Originally posted by hai4ap View Post
            Thanks for the reply. So that means a no on the DC1 or scratch-X? Wouldn't DC-1 provide a better surface for the M21 to bond to or is that not the case on amortization?
            Oh it probably would help more than it will hurt but how much may be negligible especially when you consider wax doesn't tend to last very long on a wheel anyways. If you want to do everything you can to improve the appearance of your anodized aluminum then go for it.

You could always to a test spot on one wheel, or just do one wheel and then watch the visual appearance of the wheel for the next month and see if you can see any difference.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Okay, so it won't damage the finish though by etching or pitting it though, I'll give it a try, its winter and they aren't going on for another month or so.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');