• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What not to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What not to do?

I started out detailing engines along time ago. Back then (late 90's) I would hose it off to start and finish the cleaning process. I was told back then that if I did it while the car was running their would be no problem. I since tried to do so on a 2000 Hyundai Accent, and a 1999 Buick LeSaber and both times after I was finished the check engine light was on for about a day, and then turned off. I don't currently do engines for profit, but I would like to. What is the cause, and how can I avoid it?
    Danny Jensen, Detail Lab

Re: What not to do?

New cars are sensitive. They have lots of sensors in them, and the water problay is causing them to not function properly telling the computer in car there is problem, thats why the eingine light comes on. To prevent ,dont run the car, cover up altenators, distributors and coil packs with a plastic bag. When done take compressed air and give that engine a good blow try. Make sure you may close attention to the spark plug holes blow all the air out or this could cause a miss fire on that cylinder.

Comment

Be very careful of coil on plugs inside a plug valley.You would be suprised how much water gets in there.I detail alot of mustangs with 4.6 liter motors and the valley and coil pack must be blown dry before start up or Misfire codes 301 -308 show up.Or if the car has over 50,000 miles on it I wont touch it because the epoxy on top of the coil pack is cracked and gets water in it that way.I tell the customer to buy coil packs and plugs before I detail the motor.Where else can you get a detail and tune up in one shop.
      2007 Mustang GT/CS white 5sp. named Cali
      Show Car Detail

Comment

i do work for a dealership in maine and we wash every engine with water and cleaner and never have check engine lights come on. this includes a big lineup of american cars as well as bmw and infinity.
        custom mobile detailing located in central maine

Comment

if you pressure wash you will have problems and if you drees the engine while it is running you run the risk of sucking silicone in the system. do the engine first let it dry while you finish the car.
          mike
          Mike
          The Shine Shop
          410-833-1632
          Reisterstown MD

Comment

Originally posted by Dragpakmach View Post
            Or if the car has over 50,000 miles on it I wont touch it because the epoxy on top of the coil pack is cracked and gets water in it that way.I tell the customer to buy coil packs and plugs before I detail the motor.Where else can you get a detail and tune up in one shop.
            Hey JB weld fixes VW coilpacks all the time. You just fill the cracks. A lot of guys have fixed their coil packs 2-3 times w/these successfully preventing any arching. You really ought to check it out. I thought VW was only ones that had such **** coilpacks cracking all the time.

Most modern engines have covers on them now a days to prevent the "valley" from getting hit with a direct spray of water. Cover the ignition components but if the car has problems beyond that then its a deficiency and some parts are on their way out anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by kungfoojesus View Post
              Hey JB weld fixes VW coilpacks all the time. You just fill the cracks. A lot of guys have fixed their coil packs 2-3 times w/these successfully preventing any arching. You really ought to check it out. I thought VW was only ones that had such **** coilpacks cracking all the time.

Most modern engines have covers on them now a days to prevent the "valley" from getting hit with a direct spray of water. Cover the ignition components but if the car has problems beyond that then its a deficiency and some parts are on their way out anyway.
              I deal with mostly show cars and JB weld wont work with this crowd they have a excuse to go by MSD or Accel parts.
              2007 Mustang GT/CS white 5sp. named Cali
              Show Car Detail

Comment

Originally posted by the shine shop View Post
                if you drees the engine while it is running you run the risk of sucking silicone in the system.
                Huh?
                It's only weird because it's not normal

www.project-one.us

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');