• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#20 Polymer Sealant Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #20 Polymer Sealant Problem

Well today I finally had time to do my car , In order, I tackled the following

1) Quick Detail With Clay Bar
    2)Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
    3)Deep Crystal Polish
    4)#20 Polymer Sealant

I did everything by hand! I used Applicators for each one and did a circular motion applying each one.

Now the end result I was very pleased, but it has like a swirl residue on the paint????

I'm pretty sure that's from the Polymer Sealant. But should it be like this? Is that what it's suppose to do during the curing time?

Also every product I used (stated above) besides the Clay bar, I got Paint transfer onto my rags. My car is Acrylic Enamel( no Clear Coat). It was oxidized a bit. Is this common and why does it do that?

Another thing. I only applied 1x for each product. Now when it's fully cured should I add another coat of Polymer Sealant or should I add my Carnuba wax?

But otherwise I am very pleased on the turn out! I hope I will have time to maintain the shine!.

Hi 78 Caprice,

The paint transfer is normal for a non- clearcoated car. All I can say is that it's a lot less paint being removed than it looks like.

The swirl residue could be a couple of things, but I'm going to guess that you have some product left on the paint. Try spraying a shot of the QD on it and wiping with a mf towel; did it go away? Then it's residue from the #20, not wiped off completely. If you're going to do another coat of #20 (recommended), then do it overtop of the residue; the solvents in the new coat will soften the residue. #20 is best applied VERY VERY THIN, as if you have the last bottle of #20 in the world and it has to last you the rest of your life.

It's good stuff, a very nice sealant.

Tom
    As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

There are several reasons that you are getting smear/swirls. The DC Cleaner and Polish have very high oil content. They need to be 'worked' so the oils can do their work on the paint (get rubbed into the micro pores and cracks) and the majority of the remaining oils absorbed into the applicator. When worked properly, there should only be a very light oily coating on the surface that is easily removed with a fresh microfiber cloth.

So, if your not rubbing the products enough, then add MORE product, or use too much to begin with, you are going to have smear problems from all the residual oils on the paint.

Another thing is that #20, while technically a polymer DOES contain some carnuaba, so if your using it in the sun, or the finish is too hot, the carnuaba in the #20 will cause some smearing.

Maybe someone else can chip in with more ideas
      Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"
      2013 Camaro ... triple black
      323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Hi 78_Caprice,

Just to clarify, are the swirls... circular streaks?

If so, a second coat of #20 should remove the streaks. Just apply a thin coat, allow to haze 10 to 15 minutes and the remove.

After that, if you want to top with a Carnauba, go for it. This will also help to remove any fine streaks and leave behind a very uniform finish.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks guys for the fast replies!

Yeah Mike they are circular streaks.

I'm going to add another coat of sealant tommorow, then let it cure for the day, then the next day use carnuba wax.

Thanks guys! much appreciated!

Comment

Lots of great suggestions, just a couple of my own to add. Make sure you shake the bottles really well. With any product, If they have been sitting and any seperation has occured it can affect how they work. Generally streaking is caused by two things, using too much product and/or not waiting long enough for the product to haze before wiping it off. The general rule is about 15 minutes but, if you put it on too thick it may need to sit longer before you wipe it off. At least that has been my experience.

Hope this helps
            Bob
            2001 Laser Red Mustang GT Coupe
            Click Here for pics of my Mustang

Comment

Hey,

Just to add,

Be sure to apply the #20 Polymer Sealant to a cool surface and not in direct sunlight. Also, be sure not to use any type of fabric softener on your removal towels. Try to use a high quality microfiber towel like Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe for removing the #20. Lastly, after applying the #20, perform the swipe test. Take your finger and gentle swipe it across the residue. If the residue comes off easily with no smearing etc. then the product can be removed. If not, then give it a little more time, then try it again.

I have been using #20 for YEARS and YEARS and just love the stuff!!

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Well I just finished adding another coat of Polymer Sealant. IT'S SOOOOO SMOOOOOOOTHH haha. It didn't change in the appearance though looks like the same shine. The oily swirls are still there but I'm not to worried about them as I know when it comes to washing my car they will come out. Right?

One last question, should I put on a coat of Carnuba after the other layer of sealant is cured? or should I just leave it now?

Comment

2hotford,

I've noticed you sing the praises of #20 in your various posts.

I hate to bring up the "w" word during the middle of summer, but I'm already trying to do some research for my plan of attack against - - dare I say it - - Winter!

How would you say #20 holds up to either MPPP or NXT? I haven't purchased MPPP and do love NXT, but I'm thinking #20 may hold up better against the elements of old man winter. (Who better to know than someone that lives in B.C.)

I figure two coats of #20 topped with a coat or two of #16 might do just fine. I hope to wax at least every 30-60 days, but if this year was anything like last . . . (burr!)

78_Caprice,

I haven't used #20, but the picture's I've seen look nice! I've been using NXT and my cars look great, but I purchased some #26 and #16 just to play around with carnaubas on top of NXT, which is a sealant like #20.

The sealants are nice, but man do I still like the look, feel, beading, etc. of carnaubas. You just can't get that with a sealant. NXT comes pretty darn close, but there's something about hand applying a paste wax to a car. Sure would like to see Meguiar’s come out with a paste version of NXT! – hint!

Try a carnauba over the #20 on half the hood or trunk and see if you like the look before you do the whole car.
                  A great finish begins with the right start!

Comment

Hey,

Yep, I do sing the praises of #20!! I used to live in northern BC where winter temperatures would stay in the -40 degree C and have windchills of -60 to -70 range!! Darn cold!!! As a result, you could not wash your truck even if you wanted to. Any water left would freeze incredibly hard. So washes only happened when it warmed up!! I always used Meguiar's #20 as I knew how well it lasted. Come Spring time, I would detail the winter crud off the truck. The finish would be in excellent condition, even after those crazy winters!

Last Nov. early Dec. I was asked to give Lab Sample E (NXT Tech Wax) a try. Now, I do not live in the north anymore, but temperatures here still went down to -28.8C. The NXT held up very well. In fact, when Spring arrived, the resultant gloss was excellent!

This winter, gulp...I shiver to think about it, I will probably apply #20 topped with NXT. Although I really love the NXT, it is REALLY hard to shake old habits!

As for topping the #20, I too have done that for years by topping it with #26. I agree, the #26 just adds a little more warmth to the look of the paint.

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hey Tim,

Where do you live now?? I am out of Calgary

Sean
                      Dodge makes 'em...the Hemi shakes 'em

Comment

I'm trying the #20 route too, winters here in ND are brutal as well, and anything that will help protect will be welcome. Thankfully a buddy of mine ran a car stereo/detail shop, (they got out of detailing) but he lets me use the wash bay in winter

Comment

Originally posted by nightswan1
                          Thankfully a buddy of mine ran a car stereo/detail shop, (they got out of detailing) but he lets me use the wash bay in winter
                          You're a lucky son-of-a-gun! After this past winter, I dread thinking about washing the cars again during winter, even at the local coin-op.

Sorry everyone for bringing up winter so soon. Normally, you don't see this kind of discussion on the boards until fall. However, I'm debating whether to install insulation and drywall in the garage. I'm also looking at new lighting and will be looking for a propane heater so that I can at least try to get a coat of wax on from time to time. I figure, now’s the time to do it during the warm months.
                          A great finish begins with the right start!

Comment

I have one question for those of you who have used #20. Does it stain balck trim? We have two vehicles that have a fair amount of black trim and I have been looking for a wax or sealant that won't stain it if some gets on accidentally.
                            Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Comment

Well there was a rainstorm here.

One Question when I applied the second coat of polymer sealant , it wasn't fully cured before the rain shower, it needed about 10 hours of curing time to be fully cured.

So does that mean it just washed off that one layer now?

When I go wash it tommorow I will wash it by hand with a wash mitt then chamois it off? will that be okay? will all the products what I have applied be still left on the finish?

I hate rain haha

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');