• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My take on NXT cleaning ability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My take on NXT cleaning ability

I posted this yesterday, but it was lost in the void of the cyber world when the system hiccupped.

I have heard from every corner that NXT has cleaners. Some insist that there are abrasives in NXT, others assert that the cleaners in NXT are chemical. Even Mike makes the statement that NXT has "specialized" cleaners.

What I have to say comes from my personal observations while using NXT

I have applied NXT as part of a 'system,' and separately as a 'reseal' or touchup on a finish that had already been cleaned, polished and sealed.

In both cases, there are times where NXT has shown a definite lack of cleaning ability.

During a full 3-step (clean/polish/seal) detail, sometimes there are small "dots" of polish that appear when missed residual polish (or polish dust) is gathered by the buffing pad and left on the surface almost like a dot of sap. I had noticed that even with the PC, NXT will not remove this blot, but a quick wipe with a dry cloth or even a cloth with a small amount of polish (even #7) will easily wipe it away.

When I'm applying a fresh coat of NXT to a car that I have previously (within a few weeks or months) done a complete 3-step, I've seen small dots of tar (about as big as this asterisk *) that were missed during the wash, refuse to even budge despite multiple passes of the PC with an NXT dampened pad. Yet when I use a simple polish (or even if I'm applying #16 instead of NXT during a reseal) these 'dots' wipe away like they were dust.

I'm starting to believe that any cleaning (at the level of being seen by the naked eye) that occurs during the use of NXT is strictly a function of the application material, and even then the cleaning properties of the applicator material is diminished a bit by the lubricity of NXT.

Just to clarify how I apply NXT, I use a polishing pad on the PC at a setting of "4." After applying the NXT to the pad, I work an individual panel until the NXT is an even coating, a clear 'haze' that has the "patterns" of the PC application (sometimes I work it until it's barely visible on the paint). I really doubt that the lack of visible cleaning by NXT is a result of not working the product enough.

Has anyone else noticed similar occurrences?
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Don go read the post nxt cleaners.

Please don't expct NXT to act like a "cleaner wax" It will not happen.

NXT is non-abrasive. It does contain a very, sleight amount of a very specialized cleaner that enables it to eliminate very fine swirls and scratches. This is a good thing because it’s a benefit to you and to your car’s finish. If it wasn’t a benefit, Meguiar’s chemist would not include it in the formula.
    sometimes there are small "dots" of polish that appear when missed residual polish (or polish dust) is gathered by the buffing pad and left on the surface almost like a dot of sap.
    my steps are
    #20 24hrs later
    NXT X2

I have the "dots" to
    the dots did not appear until after I did a Quick Detailer "Mist & Wipe" or I did not notice until after I did the wipe down. I'm sure they were not there after the NXT. I could not get them off by wiping HARD with a micro fiber they would flick off by using my finger nail lightly (just that thought through some of the minds here would bring a freight train to a sudden halt.) At first I thought they were stone bruises but a closer look proved differently. As of yet I have not found the cause of this. I just know some how "I" did something wrong, pushed a chemical to far,did not let my steps sit long enough,Worked the truck while it was to hot...who knows.
    Rich
    If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
    DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Originally posted by Beercan31
      Don go read the post nxt cleaners.

Please don't expct NXT to act like a "cleaner wax" It will not happen.

I never expected it to. I just figured that with all the debate about the cleaners in NXT, I'd post my observations that lead me to believe that any cleaners in NXT are so extremely mild, that any worries about "stripping a previous layer" are pretty much groundless.

PS: I find the 'fingernail flick' to be very effective with the dots too
      Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"
      2013 Camaro ... triple black
      323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

It's amazing that there continues to be a debate over the cleaning properties of NXT wax even after Mike Phillips of Meguiar's provided the answer!

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');