• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Appreciate advice on removing swirl marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appreciate advice on removing swirl marks

I'm brand new to the world of detailing. I have a 2002 Obsidan Black Mercedes E-series that has swirls marks all over. This is not noticable in the shade but only in the sun. After seeing an ad on TV, I went to Meguires' web site and found a number of products that seem to address this problem (Swirl Remover, Scratch -X, Speed Glaze, Swirl Free Polish, etc...) I would appreciate any advice as to what might be the best choice/approach to this problem. In addition to removing the swirls is there a recommended 2nd and/or 3rd application (product) to really amplify the shine?

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Appreciate advice on removing swirl marks

Hi Tom, Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

I'm guessing you want to do this all by hand? Doing the entire car will be a workout. But if that's that case, I would recommend ScratchX. How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

If you would want to step up to using a machine like the G100, then you would want to start with #80 Speed Glaze. The G100 really isn't that hard to learn to use. Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

Getting the black to look good, I would try NXT from the consumer line. It's easy to use and works great. Should be able to find it just about anywhere also.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. We are here to help.
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by tomb13 View Post

I would appreciate any advice as to what might be the best choice/approach to this problem.
      Swirls in clear coat paints will always be a problem unless you always maintain the finish, this means washing yourself so you now swirls are not being put back in, and the waxing often to keep that showroom new look. Just want to point out that removing the swirls out of a black car that is a daily driver is not a one time procedure.

For a lot of people, just to wash the car and apply a quality wax will reduce the visual appearance of the swirls and will be what they're looking for as the car is a daily driver.

For others, they want perfection as their car is more to them than a daily driver, for these people we can show you have to remove the swirls and then maintain your finish.

Which group do you think you lean towards? Then, how do you want to do the work by hand, or machine. Machine polishing is easier, faster and always gives you better results.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,

I would be willing to give the wax a chance as the car is driven daily and I suspect getting to perfection will be a never ending process. Perhaps I could apply a high quality wax on a fender first and see if I like the result? In the past I have always hand waxed my cars. I have not applied any wax to this car yet as I wasn't sure what to use. So this would be the first wax over the original paint. The car is garage kept and has only been to hand wash car washes.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tomb13 View Post
          Mike,

I would be willing to give the wax a chance as the car is driven daily and I suspect getting to perfection will be a never ending process. Perhaps I could apply a high quality wax on a fender first and see if I like the result? In the past I have always hand waxed my cars. I have not applied any wax to this car yet as I wasn't sure what to use. So this would be the first wax over the original paint. The car is garage kept and has only been to hand wash car washes.

Tom
          Hi Tom,

If you have not clayed the car, then after washing the car the next thing you want to do is use some detailing clay over the paint to remove the above surface. This is crucial because if you car is daily driver and has not been clayed ever or recently, then it will have substances that have bonded or stuck onto the surface of the paint that washing will not remove.

After you clay your car, then pick up a bottle of Meguiar's ColorX, this is a cleaner/wax that will build on the results of the clay by further cleaning the paint and removing some of the lightest defects while restoring clarity to the clear coat and adding both gloss and protection to the paint.

Apply this with some passion, that is don't just wipe the product on and off, actually take some time to really work the product against the paint. Let the wax dry and then wipe it off.

Then inspect your results. If it looks good and you're happy then continue with this product, if it looks good and you want better results then after you've initially cleaned your paint with this cleaner/wax you can then switch over to a different wax like NXT after you've used up the ColorX and because you've laid the ground work the the ColorX, (cleaned the paint), the NXT will build on these results and usually take your finish to higher level.

That's one approach.

Another would be to break the process up and,

Wash
          Clay
          Clean with a dedicated paint cleaner like ScratchX
          Polish with a dedicated polish like Deep Crystal Polish
          Wax with a polish/wax like NXT

More steps usually give you better results, but if the car is a daily driver then usually washing, claying and using a quality cleaner/wax will take your car's finish to a level that you'll be happy with and it won't be too complicated or cost you very much money, just a Saturday afternoon.

Hope this helps...
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'm a big fan of the wash, clay as needed, ColorX, wax method for quickly detailing a daily driver.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Mike & folks,

Thank-you for the advice. I agree that the car does indeed need a good cleaning and will adhere to your recommended regiment. Now all I need is some warm weather!

Thanks again,

TB

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');