• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

plast-x yields no results (for me anyway)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plast-x yields no results (for me anyway)

I think I may know why, but see what you guys think. I'm working on my motorcycle windscreen that is pretty scratched, but nothing I can feel with my fingernail. A couple years of using gas station bug wash, tends to scratch things up a bit. I applied the plast-x with a microfiber towel. Could this be the problem? I applied it just like I would scratch-x: quite firm and worked it until (i thought) it broke down. It made the surface smooth, but zero scratches were removed. Try again with a foam pad? Can I use the G100? Thanks all.

Re: plast-x yields no results (for me anyway)

From my experience Plast-X takes a lot of elbow grease. Sounds like you should try a foam pad or terry towel. Yes you can use the G100. I just got some 4" pads to use for Plast-X. Theres a post around somewhere when Superior Shine used it with a G100 on a golf car. I'll see if I can find it for you.
    Scott

Comment

Here we go, I found some posts that might help you...

Who Knew??

PlastX -vs- Tail lights

Good luck!
      Scott

Comment

Thanks. I'll try the DA and post results later.

Comment

Definatly use the G100 on it. Work it just like you would #80 on paint. I just did some airplane windows from a airplane graveyard and it worked beautifully. They sell the windows for movies, or display aircraft.
          Danny Jensen, Detail Lab

Comment

i've always used plastix like a cleaner or something of that sort. rub on like a wax, overlapping to get the whole surface, then elbow grease remove it with a mircofibre towel. even when there is no plastix on the plastic itself, i continue to use the towel with it on it to rub it away. works wonders.
            2001 Granite Sentra Se - Brought back to a brilliant shine via meguiars. took 6+ hours of work. i'm currently loving its' shine.

Comment

My guess is, that Plast-X only removes surface bonded contaminants and not so much scratches (please correct me if I am wrong).
              Nothing beats a lion

Comment

PlastX does remove scratches.

Unfortunately some plastics are tougher to work than others.

Motorcycle windscreens are typically made out of polycarbonate, a very, very tough material. Scratches that would be easily removed from other, less durable plastics can be very difficult, if not impossible to remove from polycarbonate.

If it can be done it will take a lot of work.

PC.

Comment

Update:

Used the DA to work in the Plast-X on the windscreen. 3 passes. Zero results. I guess this polycarbonate is just too hard. The scratches aren't too bad, so I'll probably stop messing with it and just live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bob-e View Post
                    Update:

Used the DA to work in the Plast-X on the windscreen. 3 passes. Zero results. I guess this polycarbonate is just too hard. The scratches aren't too bad, so I'll probably stop messing with it and just live with it.
                    Thats a bummer!

I have used PlastX many times and always seems to work, been through several bottle both at home and work.

Never really thought about it but just like vehicle paint, harder plastics are harder to remove scratches... interesting.
                    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I've used #83 via PC on plastic headlights and got very good results. I know its not recommended but it worked for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');