• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get rid of smell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to get rid of smell?

I found once you eliminate the root cause there's one inexpensive product that will absorb odors not cover them up - Zeolite. Anytime someone gets in my car knowing that I smoke they are suprised. Mind you I am car crazy by detailing interior once a week and ashtray is always cleaned out. But still without these inconspicuous bag of volcanic rocks you would notice. They run about $9 from Bed, Bath & Beyond as Gonzo Odor Eliminators and they last forever. Every 9-10 months leave them in the sun for a few hours to recharge as the heat releases the trapped ions, and back in your car, house , wherever, they go. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by dmegs1 View Post
      I found once you eliminate the root cause there's one inexpensive product that will absorb odors not cover them up - Zeolite. Anytime someone gets in my car knowing that I smoke they are surprised. Mind you I am car crazy by detailing interior once a week and ashtray is always cleaned out. But still without these inconspicuous bag of volcanic rocks you would notice. They run about $9 from Bed, Bath & Beyond as Gonzo Odor Eliminators and they last forever. Every 9-10 months leave them in the sun for a few hours to recharge as the heat releases the trapped ions, and back in your car, house , wherever, they go. Hope this helps
      You can also buy it in kitty litter size particles from the pet stores.

I have used it to help aid in the removal of ammonia in fish aquariums.
      r. b.

Comment

Yup, definetely R.B you're right, and it is that versatile.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper View Post
          This is the best product that I have tried so far...

Odo Ban

It will even kill cat urine odor, but it takes using it full strength with more than one application to do it.

You can get a gallon jug w/ an extra quart in a sprayer bottle for 10.00 at Sam's Club.

If you don't get results right away then let the product do it's thing over time and it will eventually destroy a bad smell.
          Odo Ban is really good stuff. We use it in the gym I work at. We keep about 10 spray bottles around the gym full of diluted Odo Ban for use on the equipment, and we use it on our bathroom floors. It's not only a deodorizer, it's also antifungal, antibacterial, and all that good stuff.

Zeolite - lava rock in aquariums to remove ammonia? I've never heard of that. That makes me wonder, though, would activated carbon help with odors any?
          Lydia's Mobile Detailing
          Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
          2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Originally posted by Lydia View Post
            Zeolite - lava rock in aquariums to remove ammonia? I've never heard of that. That makes me wonder, though, would activated carbon help with odors any?
            I'm sure it would remove odors, but I wonder if the air would have to be forced through it first?

For what it's worth...the kind of carbon used in air filters is processed from wood.

The kind of carbon that is used in aquariums is made from Bituminous coal (at least the good kind is). It excels in removing dissolved waste and is probably the kind of carbon that is used in household water filters too.

Not sure if Zeolite is made from actual lava rock. I was thinking that it is the same stuff as kitty litter?
            r. b.

Comment

Forced? Nope. It helps having air circulate but have found people place them in closets with no circulation and after a day or so left the air simply clean. A wikipedia search would explain much as well as googling it and view how people use it. Again, I personally, aside from logically emptying out my ashtray, was looking for something to work nonstop, like a lifetime air freshener with no scent. Well I still, by habit, use a coconut or vanillaroma scent tree :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy The Detailer View Post
                Forced? Nope. It helps having air circulate but have found people place them in closets with no circulation and after a day or so left the air simply clean. A wikipedia search would explain much as well as googling it and view how people use it. Again, I personally, aside from logically emptying out my ashtray, was looking for something to work nonstop, like a lifetime air freshener with no scent. Well I still, by habit, use a coconut or vanillaroma scent tree :-)
                I'll have to try some of that stuff in the near future.
                r. b.

Comment

It's called Zeo Trap, and can be found at various online auto parts sites.

Comment

Old used car trick i learned, leave a dryer sheet in your car over night, this is if its just a temp smell and you dont have a dead animal or something that will cause the odor to come back, just my 2 cents.
                    'In Veritate Victoria'
                    2007 F-150 - Texas Blue
                    Houston - Tx

Comment

My favorite product is Auto Shocker, it is a simple odor eliminator that is easy to use. However, this stuff is powerful! It works really well, it gets into the upholstery and kills the stink. Any car owner needs this stuff. Check it out at http://www.biocidesystems.com/auto3hslanding.html

Comment

Originally posted by Renny Doyle View Post
                        One product I love and is available at Home Depot is Zep High Traffic Carpet Cleaner. Leaves the carpets clean and fresh.

Also, here is a write-up about odor issues to read that may assist you if you are at the pro level! http://www.carwash.com/article.asp?IndexID=6636283

Best of luck,
                        I've been working in the auto care industry for the past 30 years and have dealt with many strange odors in the vehicles that i have worked on. I recently discovered this product called the Auto Shocker quick release that releases Chlorine Dioxide vapor in your vehicle in the course of 24 hours and when you come back the odor is completely destroyed. It's incredibly easy to use and very inexpensive, I find it to be the perfect solution to any strong odors I come across. I hope this helps you guys, good luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');