• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No wrench - how to remove PC 7336 backing plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No wrench - how to remove PC 7336 backing plate?

I recently acquired a used Porter Cable 7336, and it didn't come with the wrench to remove the backing plate. What can I use to remove the backing plate safely? Any suggestions are certainly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: No wrench - how to remove PC 7336 backing plate?

Find a very flat 9/16 wrench, most standard wrenches like a Craftsman are to thick to get in-between the backing plate and the metal shroud surrounding the counterweight, but if you can find a very flat wrench, usually a cheapie style wrench it will fit in there.

I have a very flat bent wrench I kept with my Drag Boat for decades and it works great when I can't find my PC wrench. You could always take a regular wrench that doesn't fit and make it to fit using a bench grinder or a grinding wheel on a rotary buffer. Make sure to wear eye protection.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

You could always call Porter Cable and buy one of their flat wrenches.

Comment

I have a very flat bent wrench I kept with my Drag Boat for decades and it works great when I can't find my PC wrench. You could always take a regular wrench that doesn't fit and make it to fit using a bench grinder or a grinding wheel on a rotary buffer. Make sure to wear eye protection.[/QUOTE]

Hey Mike I always see the picture of the drag boat. Please share a little info on this would you please. ie. how fast, fastest you've had it. etc.
        Not only a crazy car guy but a crazy boat guy?????????
        Keep Smilin' .....
        Fred
        "Every day is a great day; some just better than others"

Comment

I got a display PC7336SP from Lowes for $25. One of my wrenches that came with my compressor and air tools fit perfectly. Porter-Cable sells them for roughly $5 - not sure if shipping is included.

Comment

I don't have the tools required to grind down a regular wrench to fit, so that's out of the question. Nothing I've seen at my local stores will fit either (not even the 99 cent store specials!)

I guess I'll be purchasing one from Porter Cable directly then. Hopefully it'll come in time for my detailing session next weekend! Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone!

Comment

13mm wrench will work just fine.insert it around the area where the weight is
              Mike
              The Shine Shop
              410-833-1632
              Reisterstown MD

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');