• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 11 hour detail on a 2002 Firehawk...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 11 hour detail on a 2002 Firehawk...

Wow, I had no idea it was going to take 11 hours when I agreed to detail Jonathan's 2002 Firehawk. I'm just glad Jonathan was thrilled with the results along with the other people that were at the house last night. It made it all worth it.

Jonathan let me use his house when I installed my GMMG and when we did my brakes and sub-frame connectors. Both times it took either his whole Saturday or Sunday, so I felt like I owned him something, which I did. I agreed to detail his car when he asked me because he saw how clean my Z28 almost all of the time.

Jonathan always told me how upset he was with his paint every time we talked or were at a F-body hang out.

So yesterday I got to Jonathan's house around 9:30 and by 10 the detail was in full swing.

- Two passes of 83 on a 8006 pad on setting 5.
    - One pass of 80 on a 8006 pad on setting 5
    - One pass of 26 on a 9006 pad on setting 2

I did half of each panel at a time to make sure I was getting the results I wanted. Here I am getting ready to lay down some painters tape.

Porter Cable time. Woot!

Doing a pass of 80 with a 8006 pad to see if 83 was in order...which it was.

Busting out the 83. Notice my detail cart I brought with me? :lol:

Here is the rear passenger quarter panel. When Jonathan had his 12 bolt installed, the shop spilled rear end fluid on the panel and then took a shop rag and wiped it down. The panel was so swirled, in direct light it looked gray.

After two passes of 83 with a 9006 pad and one pass of 80 on a different 8006 pad, the results were up to my standards.

I didn't finish till 8:45, so it was dark. Jonathan took these pics this morning. I think the pics can do the talking. After the 83 and 80, I did one pass of 26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax.

The white dots are dust. The joys of owning a black car.

Here is that panel again that was swirled really badly.

Enjoy. Any comments or suggestions welcomed.
    /Keith
    2001 LT Tahoe | Hybrid Wheels - Depo Headlights with DDM HID's (55w @ 4.5k) - Clear Corners - Sonar LED Tail Lights (Red Smoked)

www.LakeMeadOnline.com

Re: My 11 hour detail on a 2002 Firehawk...

Looks awesome, man. Now that's a shine to be proud of.
    "No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master." --Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Excellent! I used to have a black WS6 TA which was my absolute favorite car to detail! There still is nothing like a black car, especially non-metallic black. It demands perfection.

#83 can be tricky to use with a PC on the TA paint but you did great!

RamAirV1
      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Jonathan here.
        Words cannot describe how thankful I am to Keith for his help. Before my car accident, I was a detailing, polishing nut. After my car was repainted by the body shop, the swirls and marks put into the clear by the shop as they were "polishing" the new paint were so sickening that I lost my drive to detail and keep my car nice. Ketih has once again made me the OCD paint guy I used to be! Thanks again Keith.

Oh, and I'm definately turned onto Meguiar's products.
        2002 Black Trans Am Firehawk M6 #1335
        1 of 318
        343rwhp / 354rwtq

Comment

WOW. Great job. The full car sun shots show the great depth and the reflections are insane! The only suggestion I have is to keep doing what you're doing because it looks great.
          Jason

Comment

Originally posted by jmakado View Post
            WOW. Great job. The full car sun shots show the great depth and the reflections are insane! The only suggestion I have is to keep doing what you're doing because it looks great.
            I'm ordering my orbital tomorrow.
            2002 Black Trans Am Firehawk M6 #1335
            1 of 318
            343rwhp / 354rwtq

Comment

your hours of hard work, have paid off! good job buddy!

Comment

When I said, "After two passes of 83 with a 9006 pad and one pass of 80 on a different 8006 pad..."

I meant a 8006 pad. Opps.
                /Keith
                2001 LT Tahoe | Hybrid Wheels - Depo Headlights with DDM HID's (55w @ 4.5k) - Clear Corners - Sonar LED Tail Lights (Red Smoked)

www.LakeMeadOnline.com

Comment

What can I say. I'm speachless too. Only that so many times I've see the results still amazes me everytime. Awesome work. And nice to hear that u r back on ur OCD paint guy again. Very nice car too. Happy detailing. TQ for sharing with us.

Comment

awsome shine..... very good job

Comment

wwwowooww awesome drooling wet dude!!!
                      superb polishing job! you just kicked souveran in the behind!

Comment

Wow...results look amazing.

My Dad has a '99 Firehawk that I'll be doing the same thing to....he had a "mishap" with a rotary buffer, and the entire hood is hologrammed.

Can't wait, haha.
                        2003 Matrix XRS *Sold*
                        2002 Mustang GT
                        2005 Subaru STi *coming this spring!*

Comment

Nice job. What is a GMMG and a 12 bolt you mentioned?

How did you get your cart over to his house? I noticed that he had shelves just like your cart.

How many pads did you use total? Did you have to stop and clean them? How bad were the nooks and crannies to 83,80, and wax? How much product did it take?

Comment

You did a wonderful job on the car. You made it into a showcar. As a result of your great work you got your friend Jonathon reintroduced to the passion of detailing cars. Way to go, keep em shining.
                            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Excellent job on that beautiful car!! Keep up the good work!

About the cart, did you get it at Sam's? If so, how do you like it? I'm considering getting a cart, but I'm trying to find one I can fit into my extended cab on my truck. If I can't find one that will fit, I might just get that one (or one I saw at Sam's that looks just like that one).
                              Lydia's Mobile Detailing
                              Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
                              2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');