• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polished car & Dust & Washing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polished car & Dust & Washing!

I have questions for you Mike and I hope you help me with them.

Here in my country (Bahrain) we have very dusty weather almost throughout the year! I used to use Meg 83 and 80 with rotary and I can achieve nearly swirls free paint results! I don't have a garage so the dust is waiting for me! the swirls marks return back weeks later!!I don't know why!! I have a guy that wash my car with chamois leather only with water every 2 days.

What I think is that during the polishing process the swirls have been removed but when the dust come on the paint, the washing guy comes and install swirls on polish film NOT on the paint!! becuase the swirls that I see are taking the shape and the direction of the washing!!

My Questions:

1- what do you suggest?
    2- do I have to keep more curing time for the polish before washing?
    3- which of meg cleaner/polish that just HIDE the swirls?

Your help is appreciated.

Re: Polished car & Dust & Washing!

Can the dust be blown off with compressed air?

Comment

Originally posted by v12 View Post
      I have questions for you Mike and I hope you help me with them.

Here in my country (Bahrain) we have very dusty weather almost throughout the year! I used to use Meg 83 and 80 with rotary and I can achieve nearly swirls free paint results!
      Do you apply any wax after cleaning and polishing?

I
      What I think is that during the polishing process the swirls have been removed but when the dust come on the paint, the washing guy comes and install swirls on polish film NOT on the paint!! because the swirls that I see are taking the shape and the direction of the washing!!
      When you say, "polish film", does this mean your last step product, (LSP), is the M80?

Both M83 and M80 are water soluble, that is they will rinse off when washed. This is normal as they are not protection products like a wax but instead are products meant to remove defects and formulated so that in a body shop situation the car can be washed after compounding and polishing to remove residue off the car and out of the nooks and crannies.

If you're not applying a wax after using a cleaner/polish then you need to add this step.

the washing guy comes and install swirls

because the swirls that I see are taking the shape and the direction of the washing!!
      Make sure he's using a high lubricity car wash soap to reduce friction and make the surface slick, Gold Class Wash is our highest lubricity car wash.

Also make sure he's only using a high quality car wash mitt that is perfectly clean, it is cheaper to replace wash mitts with perfect condition new wash mitts than it is to spend a day removing swirls and scratches.

A Grit Guard is also a good idea.

My Questions:

1- what do you suggest?
      See my recommendations above.

My Questions:
      2- do I have to keep more curing time for the polish before washing?
      All of our cleaner/polishes and pure polishes should be wiped off after working them over the paint. They are not supposed cure or dry because they are not protection products they are defect removing products. See this article.

>>>Begin article <<<

Which products need to dry before removing?

When it comes to paint care, often times we'll have members post to our forum, which products and procedures they're using to detail their car. In the process they'll mention how long they let products like ScratchX, or Deep Crystal Polish, or #7 Show Car Glaze, or M80 Speed Glaze dry before they removed it.

A common question that comes up often on our forum and over at our Customer Care Hotline is,
      • "How long should I let a paint cleaner dry?"

or

"How long should I let a polish dry?"
      This is a common mistake and/or misconception about these non-wax products, or in other words product meant to leave protection behind on the finish after removal. With this article, we hope to shed some light on this topic and clear up any confusion there may be on which products need to dry before removing them from the paint.

When working inside the Meguiar's line of product, whether that's our Consumer Line, our Professional Line, or even our Mold Release Line, the only products that need to dry, and the only products you should allow to dry are our waxes.

All other products are formulated and meant to be applied, worked-in and then removed immediately afterwards. This would include,
      • Compounds
      • Paint Cleaners
      • Cleaner/Polishes
      • Pure Polishes

All Meguiar's waxes should be applied, worked-in and then allowed to dry until they pass the Swipe Test.

This would include all Meguiar's paste waxes, liquid waxes and even our spray-on waxes.

>>>End of article <<<

You need to find a wax or paint sealant you like and apply this product and let it fully cure or dry before removing.

My Questions:
      3- which of meg cleaner/polish that just HIDE the swirls?
      None. Zero.

Correctly used - Meguiar's cleaner/polishes remove below surface paint defects. If the cleaner/polish you're using isn't removing the defect then it could be you need a more aggressive product or it could be you're not using the right pad, or it could be you're not using the correct technique for applying the right product with the right pad.

Your help is appreciated.
      We hope some of the above helps...

By the way, what are you working on?
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for your reply Mike.

Regarding the final polishing step, Yes , I end up with Meg 80 and let waxing for the next week.

I still believe that there is fine film remain after removing 80, because sometimes cats come and step on the hood and their footprint are very hard to remove, may be I have to add the washing step as you said.

Another question, do waxs/sealants are meant to protect the paint from swirl marks or just UV protection?

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');