• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just had an arguement with my dad on waxing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just had an arguement with my dad on waxing.

Thank you all so much for your encouragement. The thing is he's telling me that its metallic paint & doesn't need any wax....Hehe. I told him there's a clear coat on top of the metallic paint.

Could be worse. He could be like us...and then he'd want you to 5-step it every week or two. If it's a lighter color and he doesn't keep if too long, no problem. Otherwise, he'll eventually come around to your point of view-- if he keeps his eyes open, that will eventually open his mind.
    Yup u are right.... Luckily he doesn't know the 5 steps ritual. Hehe. He usually kept his cars for 1-2 yrs only. But he told me since he's retiring soon. It'll be his last car in his life.....he says. Which I don't believe. TQ.

Comment

While I agree with the "clearcoat can be waxed" statements, I'm not too sure I'd want to go out and wax a car for someone that *specifically* told me to not touch his car. I mean, yes, I might think I can make it look better, but it is his car. It might create some tension/rage within the person that would overshadow any improvement you might be able to show him.
      If you can find some paperwork on proper care of metalic paint, from a source that he'd trust, let him read it. Maybe show him some other clearcoat/metalic cars that have been waxed. Until he agrees to it, I wouldn't try to force it on him by waxing part/all of his car. Just my opimion, though.
      The grass is always greener on the septic field.

Comment

take the car some where else and do a little half and half like STG said. bring it home and apologize and say that you wanted to give him a present but couldn't finish on time but you'll get it done tomorrow. If he's as stubborn as my Dad was, better to ask him how he thinks the vinyl should be treated and do that part his way..... it'll distract him off the paint..........

Comment

As mentioned, why wax his car if he tells you not to? You don't have to do the extra work and he gets what he wants... problem solved.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"

Comment

I have heard a LOT of people think their finishes are "wax free" over the years, it all started in the 90's. I think the auto dealers around 1990 or so started telling a lot of people this and it has gotten around to a lot of people now.

Comment

if it is his car, just don't wax it. Let him feel like trash for having dull paint!
              A Pontiac is a Chevy with better trim.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioCarBuff View Post
                I have heard a LOT of people think their finishes are "wax free" over the years, it all started in the 90's. I think the auto dealers around 1990 or so started telling a lot of people this and it has gotten around to a lot of people now.
                I think the "no wax" stories started with the General Motor's lacquer paint jobs in the early 1960's. Supposedly these cars never needed waxing and would retain their shines forever. By the mid-70's these cars were looking pretty dull.

Comment

Thread is almost 3 years old..

Comment

peter.kelly, what a thread mine

Comment

What is it with this emotional, argument-with-dad thread bumping today?

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');