• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sun damage on wing, and possibly the roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sun damage on wing, and possibly the roof

I have dark green paint, and I was wondering if there is a trick to get rid of sun damage. It shows significantly on the (factory) wing of my car, and I already tried the buffer with NXT wax. It showed a little improvement, but not as much as I was hoping. Is there a special wax and method in to clearing up the sun damage, or should I just get the damn thing repainted?

With my roof, everytime I dry it off after a bath, the paint looks and feels like it is a little rough. When I spread the microfiber towel I purchased off this site, it is not quite as a smooth surface as other parts of the car. I can't take pictures of the roof and wing right now with this odd weather I'm having. What is the best way to clear things up?

Re: sun damage on wing, and possibly the roof

Sounds like clearcoat failure if this is the case there's nothing you can do except to replace the component and when you get a new component, take care of it with regular polishing and waxing.

Do a search using the words

clearcoat failure

Also look in the Hot Topic forum, there's at least one or two articles there. Best thing to do is to post a picture and we can tell you for sure.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

You could try the buffer with a paint cleaner like ScratchX or a cleaner/polish like M80 Speed Glaze, if either of these improve it then you might get lucky.

Sounds like clearcoat failure. Most people confuse this with oxidation but that's usually not the case. Again, do a search on this forum because this topic has come up a lot and there is already a lot written on the topic with lots of pictures you can look at and compare to what you're seeing.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Does it just feel rough, or is there an actual cracking/cloudiness to the paint in those areas?

If the paint is actualy failing, there is nothing that can be done, but for just rough and dirty paint, a full detail is all it might need.

Nxt Wax alone doesnt have enough cleaning ability to remove lots of stuck on dirt.

For the full detail process, give these a read:

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover