• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Cleaning the Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Cleaning the Engine

I am about to have the engine of my 2003 Mazda 6s steam cleaned just to help the resale value a little. I've heard so many mixed opinions about this and was wondering what you guys think.

Is this worth having done? (Considering I don't have the equipment to do this myself as I am in an apartment and don't even have a water hose.)

The detail shop was recommended by my local Mazda dealership, but then again do we really trust dealerships?

I just don't want to do anything to my car that is going to mess it up right before trying to sell it, but if this is safe, then I'll go ahead and get it done.

Re: Steam Cleaning the Engine

Before you begin detailing, cover the alternator, any exposed filters, and the engine's air intake. Those are the areas that you really don’t want water or degreaser pooling in. Cover your exposed air filter with a bag, then be sure to remove the bag before you start your engine. You might also want to consider any other areas of the engine that might not be water friendly. If you have done any custom work then you may have electrical connections or gauges that you want to cover. Just think about what you wouldn’t necessarily want to get too wet. You can always hand clean those areas after you get the rest of the dirt out. Remember: this is engine detailing and not fire fighting. Use only as much water and cleaners as needed to get the job done.

Use this when cleaning the engine compartment.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');