• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CorvetteForum at Meguiar's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mike,

I think it would have been better to get rid of the defects first as best possible as most enthusiasts who read MOL and Autopia probably do. This probably would have been even more of a wow factor and maybe would have curbed doubt about NXT v. Zaino from the start.

Would it be possible to get a hold of another black Corvette , remove the defects then do the NXT v. Zaino thing again? Maybe we can that owner back again with defects minimized, the LSPs stripped and the comparison done again. The NXT ought to beat out Zaino in looks again. I'd like to see how the 2 look side by side on a finsh more similar to mine.
    my product collection-- New !
    My Detailing Credo
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

Bill what you say is true, i.e. getting rid of the swirls first, but the classes we teach at Meguiar's are intended to teach people first, how to use their hands to get good results. Everyone owns a pair of hands, not everyone owns a PC, or a Rotary Buffer, let alone the skills neccassary to use them. So we have to keep this demonstration in perspective.

I have done these kinds of before and after tests and as I already posted, it's difficult to do these kinds of tests because the Zaino system requires you to wash the surface with Dawn before proceeding. It's not that it can't be done, (it can), it's just difficult.

Washing with strong detergents is working backwards if the goal is to make the paint look good.

I'll see if the owner will bring it back, this will depend upon how far away he lives and how much of an inconvenience it will be for him.

Just to note, most people don't do the kind of pre-wax steps people on Autopia, Detail City and Meguiar's Online perform.

The point of the demonstration was to show the difference between 12 plus layers of Zaino applied by hand, (to whatever condition the paint was in), compared to one coat of NXT applied by hand.

People are led to believe that more and more layers will make their car's finish look better and better. What I think this demonstration showed people is that 12 layers doesn't look that good to start with, how many more will it require before the finish starts to look like the NXT side?

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey all,
        I think the whole idea of this demonstration is to show the difference on a car that is NOT prepped.
        I have not used Zanio nor do I even know what it comes in. I have seen cars that are polished to there max, and then have Zanio applied. They look marvelous. So do the cars with NXT. Prep is everything. In MY eye the NXT just looks better. (My choice)

So the demonstration is to show what 12 layers of Zanio (per the owner) or 1 layer of NXT (per 26 people) looks like. Thats all.

I like the look of the NXT, you can like the Zanio if you want, this IS America, we all have a choice.
        2005 Trailblazer LT Majestic Red Metallic
        AutoGeek's 6th Annual Detail Fest & Car Show
        1st Place-Best Overall Detail
        3rd Place-Best of Show
        March 26th, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
          So we have to keep this demonstration in perspective.
          Yes, this is the heart of the matter. Would be great to see a demo for an Autopian type audience.

I 'm kinda wondering how the Zaino will look compared to all of Meguiar's other LSPs on a polished or non polished finish.

He he, if that were to be done, we could go on and on forever eh?

Thanks for your time Mike.
          My Detailing Credo

Comment

As for longevity, I agree , at least from what read about it, NXT has an issue. I'm not sure if NXT is the product to choose if longevity is as important to you as looks. If layering is important to you as well, then again, NXT doesn't sound like the product for you

Its sounds to me that Meguiars would say NXT looks better than Zaino but would have to acknowledge that Zaino is much more durable and is layerable. Does NXT win in only one of these three attributes and is that one the most important? I think it is a purely personal preference.

Mike was saying how NXT looks better than Zaino. I think this can be determined better if he gets that Corvette back and removes the swirls and then applies Zaino and NXT side by side.

I'm sure many of us are anxious to see.
            My Detailing Credo

Comment

Some people can not admit that another product may be better than what they use, I find that to be the case everywhere. Maybe they just have to justify their spending the money they do on the system.

It's pretty cut and dry to me... this car, with whatever prep was done to it or not, with the owner saying there was 12 layers of Zaino on it, looked FAR BETTER with one coat of NXT. Does ANYONE think differently? Look at the pictures! How can anyone say that the Zaino side looks better??? Seems to me, that given an EQUAL amount of prep work, the NXT side looks vastly better.

Comment

Originally posted by PendragonZ
                Seems to me, that given an EQUAL amount of prep work, the NXT side looks vastly better.
                Seems to me that two products with very dissimilar ingredients and dissimilar *requirements* for application were compared. Given that, I think it would be expected one might look "better"

For lack of a better term, maybe a more "fair" or "equal" test would be to pit NXT against another product with similar ingredients and, more importantly, application procedure.

I'm very curious now to see how all of the rest of the Meguiars LSPs look compared to Zaino.
                My Detailing Credo

Comment

This thread has been closed for now because it has drifted off-topic. It’s not fair to the good folks from CorvetteForum that attended this event to have their thread used as a place for off-topic discussions.

I will be e-mailing Len_A his posts, and if he chooses, he can post them in the
                  Customer Service Hotline

Mike
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

It seems that some of our members need a little reminder of the MOL Rules posted at the front desk.

Meguiar's Online Front Desk

Originally posted by Lynn Phillips
                    Welcome to Meguiar’s Online!

We happy to have new members and hope that you enjoy the wealth of information that is shared on the forum.

There are not many rules, just have fun and don’t hesitate to ask questions and share information you would like to contribute to the community.

We would also like to keep this forum G-Rated as not to offend anyone and we will not tolerate flame wars, negative posts or bashing the members or moderators of Meguiar’s Online.

Should you have a question please post it to the appropriate forum so we can keep threads on-topic.

Don’t forget drop a post at the Front Desk to tell us a little about yourself…

Enjoy,
                    Your Meguiar’s Online Moderators
                    This thread is now open.

Keeping the peace,
                    Lynn Phillips
                    Meguiar's Online Admin.
                    Lynn Matthews

Comment

*Update*

Well the owner sent me an e-mail after reading this thread and told me exactly what he did to his car since he purchased it brand new from the dealership one day after the dealership took delivery of it.

I'll post the e-mail tomorrow in a new thread. He's going to let me do a makeover on the finish in the very near future.

Mike
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Well, I kinda see what Bill D is saying. Mike, I think it is only fair that when you you put NXT on one side of the hood, you should put Zaino(or a competitor wax) on the other half of the hood to compare.

I mean, if you put NXT(or any other wax) on one side of the hood and nothing on the other half, of course the side with the new, fresh wax, will always look better. It's as if you're cleaning one side of the hood(wax side) and leaving the other half dirty.....and asking the audience which side looks better.

Only then will we see and compare the true power of NXT.

Comment

Yeah, the point I was trying to make most was that Zaino, I understand leaves a different look than NXT and does not improve the appearance of paint defects.

I understand Zaino to be more similar to, say, Klasse. A comparison between these two probably would have been more balanced IMHO.

It's great lots of people swear by Zaino and lots of people swear by NXT, As always, whatever product you like, use it.
                          My Detailing Credo

Comment

I see you have Leatherique in your collection. Is that good leather products? And how about it making leather softer? They claim that even carboard hard leather can be made softer. Is it worth a try?

Comment

I understand all of the points being made, but at the clinic on Saturdays, we just take them as we get them. I picked a car our of the available cars there, and brought it in to show what one application of NXT would look like compared to how the paint currently looked.

Before commenting any further, I'll post the e-mail sent to me by the owner in its own thread. This thread is actually a thread for an event, not a a component of the event.

Mike
                              Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike,

Please see my PM
                                My Detailing Credo

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');