• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CorvetteForum at Meguiar's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Below is an e-mail I received from the owner of the black Corvette used to demonstrate one application of NXT.

Except for adding the bullet points to list his steps, the rest of the e-mail is original, as sent to me.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 7:33 AM
    To: Mike Phillips
    Subject: RE: Thanks for Sat.

Mike,

I just read the forum and BOY did it cause a fuss. Here is the total story on my 2002 Vet.

I bought the car brand new in Sept 2001. (the 2002s had been out only 8 days). It had 8 miles on it and had arrived at the dealer the day before I took delivery. I brought the car home (after a short drive down PCH) and did the following steps:
    • * Washed and then clayed the entire car.

* I then applied Z1 Zaino Polish Lock applied with a 100% terry cloth towel as instructed.

* Applied the Zaino Z2 Show Car Polish as instructed.

* After 24 hours, I applied an additional coat of Z2 as instructed.

* I have always used only clean 100% (expensive I might add) cotton terry cloth towels.

* I have always dusted the car (as described below), or washed, the car before applying any of the products to the car.

* Since then I have applied 10 plus coats of Z2 and have always used the Z6 (spray detailer) between coats.

* I have always dusted the car using a California Duster (one I only use on the Vet) and NEVER "rubbed" the duster on the paint.I have always LIGHTLY passed the tips of the duster across the paint.

*I saw the scratches in the paint, so about 8 months ago, I applied 5 coats of the Zaino Z5 Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches.

Since then I have applied 1 or 2 more coats of Z2

As you saw, I found that particular product from Zaino "just didn't work".

Chuck

End of e-mail

"Find something you like and use it often"

If after using a product, your car's finish looks good in your eyes, then it's the right product for you. By using a product often, you will insure that your car's finish will always look it's best all the time.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

This thread is much more believable.

Car Care Discussion - Dealing with spider webbing on black - I have been reading the various threads on Zaino car polish with great interest. I purchased a black C6 Vette that was loaded with spider webbing throughout the surface with lots on the hood and back deck. I purchased some Meguiars NXT car wax and waxed...

Comment

Originally posted by mrnewguy

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...46&forum_id=10
        Hi mrnewguy,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

We hope to see you making a positive contribution to our online community with all your posts! Thank you for sharing the above link to a thread on CorvetteForum where a person did a little comparison test of their own... it appears as though they have found a product they can use that works for them.

As far as removing swirls and scratches, anyone can page through any of the threads in this forum,

Detail Days at Meguiar's

and see multiple, multiple real-life examples of how we educated and trained people to correctly remove swirls and scratches with ScratchX by hand, (removed, not just filled in), and then finished the job with a couple coats of wax.

We also teach people the correct products to use and the correct procedures to use to remove swirls and scratches using Meguiar's G100 Dual Action Polisher.

Meguiar's has always been about the business of offering professional quality training and education in the automotive car care industry, as long, or longer than anyone else in the business.

Part of getting good results is first,

* Evaluate the surface
        * Choose the right product
        * Use good technique

This is what Meguiar's has been teaching since our inception. This is what we teach every Saturday in our detailing classes in Irvine, as well as around America and even the world through our Surface Care Experts and Trained Representatives.

I looked at the pictures in the thread you posted and if the poster has found a product he likes and is getting good results then that's the right product for him or her.

The pictures of the black Corvette on page 3 of this thread are also real pictures that 30 plus members of CorvetteForum witnessed the dramatic transformation of which then led the owner of the car to send me the above e-mail and a personal letter to Barry Meguiar thanking him for offering our detailing classes so that people can have the opportunity to learn proper auto care.

We hope you've joined our forum to to either;
        • * To ask questions in an effort to learn more about proper car care
          * To help others with your experience and expertise.

Time will tell what your reason for joining is...
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Here's what using the right product with the right technique can do...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A couple of things, if you want to remove swirls out of any type of paint, then you have to remove a little bit of paint in order to level or flatten out the surface as best you can.

If you want to do this by hand, then you need to use a product like ScratchX See the below link,

Before

After ScratchX, Deep Crystal Polish and one application of NXT Tech Wax Paste

Then how effective you will be will be determined by how hard the paint is because these type of polishers are not very effective at removing small particles of paint. In fact, you with your hand pushing a foam applicator with some ScratchX against the finish will be more effective in almost every case.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of that single example can be seen in this thread,

San Diego Mercedes-Benz club at Meguiar's!

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Here's another example of removing swirls with ScratchX, in this case, the owner did all the work himself, his first time using ScratchX

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check out what we taught the owner of the below car to do by hand with his carbon fiber hood.

Europrojektz at Meguiar's!

Here are the results.

Remember, this was all done by hand and it was to my knowledge the first time this person had ever used any of these products.

Not bad, definitely a dramatic improvement from where he started.

Here's the owner, just like the owener of the black Corvette on page 3 of this thread, this guy did all the work...

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

While I'm sure that thread is believable, so are the results we achieved by hand using ScratchX and NXT Tech Wax on this black Miata...

We pulled the Corvette into Meguiar's Garage and let it cool down. Then we taped off the hood with some blue painters tape separating the drivers side from the passenger's side.

Then, with no other prep work, two members from CorvetteForum applied one application of Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax by hand. We waited for approximately 10 to 15 minutes and then removed the dried Tech Wax and backed the Corvette out into the sun to inspect.

I stayed behind to take capture the members of CorvetteForum inspecting the results. Note: I didn't see the results till after I took these pictures.

Here's Chuck, the owner, looking into the finish...

And here are the results as captured by my digital camera. First a full shot resized from the original to 600 pixels wide.

In the below photo, I have cropped out a 700 pixel wide section from the original and uploaded this raw photo to my gallery. This photo shows a full-on sun shot of Zaino on the passengers side. (12 plus layers of Zaino according to the owner)

Here's a sun shot on the NXT side, remember, this is one coat applied by hand over the existing Zaino layers. According to most Zaino users, the cleaners in NXT will have removed any existing Zaino, so according to them, the results you see will have been produced by the merits of the NXT and not the NXT aided by layers of Zaino,

About this point I asked everyone there which side looked the best and everyone said the NXT side looked the best.

One thing I pointed out was how the NXT Tech Wax added richness to the paint, restored the clarity and eliminated about 90% of the swirls and cobweb-effect.

I then asked everyone there which side they would like their car to look like... the deep, dark, rich looking, optically clear swirl-free side, or the Zaino side. (You can probably guess the answer).

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Here are some more results produced with about 30 people watching the work as it was done...

The power of the hand!

We're going to take the below red dull, hazy and swirled-out Miata and give it a deep, rich, optically clear, show car shine!

Before

Original, untouched section cropped out of the original photo above

Before

And the results... by hand...

Oooo.... ahhh....

Before

After

In the above after photos, you can actually see the area we worked by the way the swirls and haziness begin to show up about on the drivers right side of the hood as we only worked a strip about a foot wide out from the tape line.

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

For the 30 plus members of CorvetteForum that were here on this day, and especially for the owner... the results the owner achieved were very beleiveable...

The owner of the Corvette told us that he had over 12 layers of Zaino on his car.

In the above photo, the Corvette looks OK, but when viewed up close and in person, the finish is dull and hazy side because of the thousands of swirls in the finish. The black paint has what people call a plastic or plasticy look. It lacks clarity and richness.

The swirls on the left hand side are an accurate representation of the overall finish with 12 + layers of Zaino on it.

Here's a dramatic Before shot taken with my Sony camera which tends to capture cobweb-effect and buffer swirl better than my Cannon.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Here's Chuck removing the Zaino and working the swirls out using Meguiar's #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish with the W-8006 foam polishing pad on the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher, ( G-100a ) on about the 5.0 setting.

Finished results in the sun! Note, while the finish is much more clear and vibrant, and rich in color, there is still a hint of cobweb-effect. This was Chuck's first time using the porter cable and as we discussed, a little more time spent on the finish and he will be able to successfully remove about 95% of all the swirls.

And here's the parting shot. It's fun showing people how to get the best results from their time, money and efforts especially on cool cars like this black C5 Corvette!

Way to go Chuck!

And here's the letter the above gentleman in the yellow shirt sent me via e-mail...

Below is an e-mail I received from the owner of the black Corvette used to demonstrate one application of NXT.

Except for adding the bullet points to list his steps, the rest of the e-mail is original, as sent to me.

-----Original Message-----
                    Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 7:33 AM
                    To: Mike Phillips
                    Subject: RE: Thanks for Sat.

Mike,

I just read the forum and BOY did it cause a fuss. Here is the total story on my 2002 Vet.

I bought the car brand new in Sept 2001. (the 2002s had been out only 8 days). It had 8 miles on it and had arrived at the dealer the day before I took delivery. I brought the car home (after a short drive down PCH) and did the following steps:
                    • * Washed and then clayed the entire car.

* I then applied Z1 Zaino Polish Lock applied with a 100% terry cloth towel as instructed.

* Applied the Zaino Z2 Show Car Polish as instructed.

* After 24 hours, I applied an additional coat of Z2 as instructed.

* I have always used only clean 100% (expensive I might add) cotton terry cloth towels.

* I have always dusted the car (as described below), or washed, the car before applying any of the products to the car.

* Since then I have applied 10 plus coats of Z2 and have always used the Z6 (spray detailer) between coats.

* I have always dusted the car using a California Duster (one I only use on the Vet) and NEVER "rubbed" the duster on the paint.I have always LIGHTLY passed the tips of the duster across the paint.

*I saw the scratches in the paint, so about 8 months ago, I applied 5 coats of the Zaino Z5 Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches.

Since then I have applied 1 or 2 more coats of Z2

As you saw, I found that particular product from Zaino "just didn't work".

Chuck

End of e-mail

If after using a product, your car's finish looks good in your eyes, then it's the right product for you. By using a product often, you will insure that your car's finish will always look it's best all the time.
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thank you for sharing this with our forum.

Meguiar's has been in business for over 100 years, and besides creating products that outperform the competition, we also take great pride in offering training and education to equip people with the necessary skills to do the job right the first time, every time.

That way your car can be the show car of the neighborhood! Or even take first place at a local show!

Meguiar's visit to Icon Productions
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hi,

I'm not a Corvette owner, but I must say those are really incredibly beautiful automobiles that we don't get here in sunny Singapore!

I've read some of the the intreresting, ongoing debates about Zaino and Meguiar's products. As for me, the decision is very simple and straight forward, whichever product that is easiest and most effective to use will earn my respect and trust. And that easily goes to Meguiar's!

I've started using Meg's product only recently and it performed exactly what it claimed.....removing of swirls and defects, providing incredible shine, protection and all! One must also applaud the educational nature of their products and websites.

I've learnt first-hand from this website the correct ways to take care of automotive paint, and banish once and for all, all the wrong info and myths from well-intended friends, acquaintances and even so-called professional car detailers!

The info learnt and products used has in a way made me the expert among my circle of friends! Just the other day, I removed a scratch from colleague's brand new Lancer with ScatchX and he thought it was magic!

Well done Mike and all at Meguiar's! Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
                        Jet

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');