• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracers or Swirls? Which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tracers or Swirls? Which one?

Originally posted by v12 View Post
    What if I used w9000 with Meg 80?

Can Meg 80 be used by hand?

Won't work. You'll still see swirls in the paint. You could try M82 with a W-9000 finishing pad and maybe get swirl free results or get very close. After that apply some wax and as long as the wax is on the surface it will be swirl free.

The idea is to get away from a pad moving in a rotating action on the surface.

Clear coat paints, actually any paint will scratch easy, swirls are scratches and anytime you have a pad in contact with the paint, with pressure on the pad, with a chemical between the pad and the paint, the potential exists for scratching or swirling to take place.

Now these swirls and scratches can be very fine, or shallow, but when viewed in direct sunlight how deep they won't matter because the light will reveal them to your eyes.

If you want to remove swirls, not just fill them in, then you need to incorporate a tool that uses an oscillating action instead of a direct rotating action. It's physics.

You might be able to accomplish this by hand, that is to rub the a paint out by hand after the last rotary step and in essence remove just a little paint by hand to completely level or flatten out the finish, but this will be hard to do and if the car you have is large it will take a long time because you'll have to do this to each square inch of the paint.

As for ding this with M80? You can try, maybe ScratchX too.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi all,

today I have buffed just small part of the hood with Meg 83 & 80 + w8000

here the results.

Before

After

Topped with Natt's blue

Comment

Looks much better.

Remember: M83 as well as all the products in the 80's series are Water Soluble" This means these products are not formulated to resist or hold up against water and in fact just the opposite. They are made so that they can be washed off with a hose at a body shop after the work is done to get the residue off and get the car clean.

For this reason you want and need to apply a coat of wax or some type of paint sealant at this point. 2 coats of wax are best.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Do you prefer to wash a car after using meg 80 or it's ok to apply the wax directly?

Another question, are these fine scraches are tracer? because it's in the direction that I wetsaneded

Comment

Hello Mike,

it returned back! could you please expain to me why it first disappear and then appear?

Comment

Do you prefer to wash a car after using meg 80 or it's ok to apply the wax directly?
              Personal preference I guess? I don't wash cars after I've buffed them out I move on to the next step, usually application of the LSP.

Another question, are these fine scratches are tracer? because it's in the direction that I wetsaneded
              Tracers are deeper sanding marks that don't buff out, the scratches you're talking about look like buffing marks from a wool pad?

See this,

Tracers, RIDS & Pigtails

Hello Mike,

it returned back! could you please explain to me why it first disappear and then appear?

If you have swirls and scratches again the you either didn't remove them the first time or you put them back in after removing them. Paint won't stay flawless by itself.

After buffing the car out did you put the car back into service? As in drive it? Washing it?

Or did you park it in a garage, close the door and leave it sit?

The latter will maintain a show car finish, using a car as a daily driver will eventually lead back to wear & tear on the paint.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');