• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civic Engine Detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civic Engine Detail

I've spent a monumental amount of time on the exterior and interior of my car, but somehow I've never touched the engine (aside from changing the oil and such). I figured today would be as good a day as any to get it nice and clean. It was looking pretty rough...

Before I started, I covered everything that I could potentially damage...

It seems that Safe-D-Greaser is the popular engine cleaner around here. Unfortunately, I don't have any of that....yet. So, I did as follows...

- APC+ 10:1, sprayed it on and let it "marinate" for a short bit
    - Sprayed it off quickly & thoroughly
    - Dried it off with MFs & the leaf blower
    - Wiped down everything with a damp MF & APC+
    - Hit the plastic with #40

Ta-dah...

I was going to put a coat of A12 cleaner wax on the underside of the hood but was running out of daylight, so that will have to wait.
    Thanks for looking. Comments & tips are always welcome.

-Tony
    "No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master." --Hunter S. Thompson

Re: Civic Engine Detail

looks great! i was in the same boat with you (i have an 03' civic coupe) and wanted to thoroughly wash the engine down as it was looking alot like yours. last week when i got my 70,000 maintenance done at the dealership, i asked them to do it and it was done at no charge . maybe next time...

Comment

Originally posted by imacarnut View Post
      looks great! i was in the same boat with you (i have an 03' civic coupe) and wanted to thoroughly wash the engine down as it was looking alot like yours. last week when i got my 70,000 maintenance done at the dealership, i asked them to do it and it was done at no charge . maybe next time...
      that's what you think! I know my stealership says that shampoo the engine...but I can tell they don't. It was part of the manitory maintaince package for me .
      Patrick Yu
      2003 Honda Accord
      2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Nice job. So nice to pop the hood and have a clean engine bay, especially when you get your hands in there.

Comment

Originally posted by sneek View Post
          It was part of the manitory maintaince package for me .
          normally, they do it when there is a maintenance done, but last time they forgot to do it and i felt i had to remind them this time. i'll probably start doing it myself now, as i've been also looking into pressure washers as well...

this karcher is around $150 at sams club

~1700 PSI
          ~1.5 gpm
          ~120v / 60Hz
          ~25 ft. high pressure hose with trigger gun
          ~Removable detergent tank
          ~Mesh pocket for accessory storage

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I've been thinking about a pressure washer, too. I looked at that same Karcher machine today.
            "No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master." --Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

What a differance in that engine bay. It looks brand new. Way to go.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Great job in that engine bay! APC+ and #40 are my go-to products for the engine bay also. I use APC+ diluted 4:1 though. Was your engine actually greasy or was it mainly dusty/dirty? I'm surprised it came out that nice looking with APC+ 10:1.
                Lydia's Mobile Detailing
                Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
                2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Originally posted by Lydia View Post
                  Great job in that engine bay! APC+ and #40 are my go-to products for the engine bay also. I use APC+ diluted 4:1 though. Was your engine actually greasy or was it mainly dusty/dirty? I'm surprised it came out that nice looking with APC+ 10:1.
                  Thanks! Not much grease & grime, mainly just dust/dirt. What grime didn't rinse off I went after by hand.

Comment

cornflake,

You said: "
                    - APC+ 10:1, sprayed it on and let it "marinate" for a short bit
                    - Sprayed it off quickly & thoroughly
                    - Dried it off with MFs & the leaf blower
                    - Wiped down everything with a damp MF & APC+
                    - Hit the plastic with #40"

Seems like a waste of MF towels. Is not this a good place for terry towels, t-shirts, brushes, etc.?

Nice job!

Comment

Originally posted by ronniejay View Post
                      Seems like a waste of MF towels. Is not this a good place for terry towels, t-shirts, brushes, etc.?

Nice job!
                      Thanks, Ronniejay. Actually, I only keep microfiber towels around. I have a bunch of good MF towels and a bunch of what I call "grunt" towels (cheap 12x12 MFs from wally world, 8 for $5). The grunt towels get used for everything from cleaning the engine to the kitchen counter(anything that's not paint). My good towels are treated very gingerly and only get used on the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by imacarnut View Post
                        normally, they do it when there is a maintenance done, but last time they forgot to do it and i felt i had to remind them this time. i'll probably start doing it myself now, as i've been also looking into pressure washers as well...

this karcher is around $150 at sams club

~1700 PSI
                        ~1.5 gpm
                        ~120v / 60Hz
                        ~25 ft. high pressure hose with trigger gun
                        ~Removable detergent tank
                        ~Mesh pocket for accessory storage
                        hey im thinking about getting those but 1600. would you happen to know how much they cost?
                        did u end up buying it already?

Comment

I bought the Karcher 1700 psi washer last year, after I couldn't get one of the gas powered rental jobs to run. I got it to help prep for painting my exterior trim. I will also come in handy for keeping the concrete and landscaping blocks cleaned up.

I haven't used it on the car, figuring I really didn't need it because we have pretty good pressure here. But I think I'll give it a try for cleaing the engine compartment someday and probably the wheel wells too.

I think as long as you're carful to use the appropriate nozzle and lower pressure it would work nicely on the paint and wheels.

My cars are both new, and I've been opening up the hood and wiping things off after the exterior wash. I use a terry cloth towel that goes straight to washer from there--not touching anything else on the vehicle.

Comment

Way to go on that Engine bay!
                            SYDSTER

Comment

I don't know if this will help anyone out there. In todays paper Big lots had a flyer, in it is Karcher 1750psi electric power washer. for 99.99. It says it comes withdirtblaster rotatry power wand, removable detergent tank, total storage system. Hope this is of help to you guys out there.
                              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');