• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat/Fiberglass Help Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat/Fiberglass Help Needed!

New to the forum, and to Meguiar's products, after being unsatisfied with the competition last year.

I am looking for assistance in removing medium oxidation(M4916), applying polish(M4516) and of course the wax(M6316). I have purchased the above noted products. Last year I used elbow-grease to apply some products, but have access to an electrically powered dual action polisher (single-speed).

Is there any part of the forum that specifically targets Marine applications? Some great tips or videos would be of great assistance. I am contemplating the purchase of a rechargeable 4" polisher due to the many curves on my boat, AND the electrical shock hazard of my current electric model polisher.

Any response would be appreciated.

tks,

Dave

Re: Boat/Fiberglass Help Needed!

Originally posted by daveh View Post
    Last year I used elbow-grease to apply some products, but have access to an electrically powered dual action polisher (single-speed).

Does your polisher look anything link one of these?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by daveh View Post

I am contemplating the purchase of a rechargeable 4" polisher due to the many curves on my boat, AND the electrical shock hazard of my current electric model polisher.
      At this time, anything rechargeable that we're aware of will not have enough power to anything substantial that you want to do.

One of my friends who owns a 30' sailboat purchased an air powered rotary buffer for working on his boat while it was in the water, you can also get air powered DA polishers, so then all you'll have to do is get an air compressor and some air lines.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Before we go any further, what are you working on and just to double check, it is in the water correct?
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike, the electric buffer that I have access to is similar to the one that is pictured in your first response. It has a "Simoniz" sticker on it. It rotates in an irregular fashion.

I did use that buffer on my boat last year for a bit, but it just seemed too big, and it was hard to see your progress. I live up in Canada, where we boat 6-months of the year. I have to wait about another month and a half before I can actually do any waxing, (until the temp gets to something reasonable). The boat will be in the water then. My boat is a 30' cruiser with an off-white fiberglass gelcoat. There are some areas that are dull, and I would like to return all of the fiberglass to factory-new appearance.

So, is that buffer OK to use?

The battery powered unit that I was thinking of buying looks like this:

Do you think that will work any better?

Thanks, for your response.

Dave

Comment

Mike, the electric buffer that I have access to is similar to the one that is pictured in your first response. It has a "Simoniz" sticker on it. It rotates in an irregular fashion.

I did use that buffer on my boat last year for a bit, but it just seemed too big, and it was hard to see your progress. I live up in Canada, where we boat 6-months of the year. I have to wait about another month and a half before I can actually do any waxing, (until the temp gets to something reasonable). The boat will be in the water then.

So, is that buffer OK to use?

The battery powered unit that I was thinking of buying looks like this:

Do you think that will work any better?

Thanks, for your response.

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');