• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie with New Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with New Cars

Brand new here...

I've always kept my 2 cars clean and waxed--Cleaner Wax-- but decided, after getting two new vehicles in January, to take it up a notch or two. I found my way here and a lot of the products I've ordered were delivered at home today.

I've purchased and have yet to use: PC7424 and pad kit, #05 New Car Glaze, #21 Synthetic Sealant, #40 Rubber & Vinyl Conditioner, 2-step Leather Cleaner / Conditioner, Quik-Out Carpet Stain Remover, Smooth Clay Kit, NXT Car Wash, NXT Speed Detailer, and several accessories for drying, cleaning, polishing and detailing.

From what I've read, I should be able to get 'er done with NXT Wash, Smooth Clay Kit, #5 New Care Glaze, and #21; $40 for rubber and vinyl trim. One interior will also get the leather treatement.

I plan to mask as instructed on other threads and us the PC.

Does wash, clay, #5 and #21 seem like a good way to start with new finishes?

How much polish/wax application do you do by hand?

Is the machine just used on the large, flat surfaces or can it be used on some of the surfaces with more curvature?

For added practice I may want to do my daughter's white '95 Corolla; which will require a different polish; I was thinking wash, clay, DC1, DC2 and 21 for hers.

Re: Newbie with New Cars

The #5 New Car Glaze is a very dry polish for use in humid climates, you might like it, you won't know until you use it, the name is confusing because this product came out in the 1950's that is new cars back in the 1950's and they had single stage paints.

A more popular option would be either Deep Crystal Polish or #7 Show Car Glaze.

It sounds like you've read enough to know the procedure,

Wash
    Clay and wipe down
    Tape-off
    Machine polish
    Machine wax

Again the polish is a very fast drying polish and while you can apply it with the PC it may not work very well. You can probably pick up a bottle of DCP at any auto parts store for around $6.00

A better option would be to probably use a paint cleaner like Deep Crystal Paint cleaner which will clean and polish the paint at the same time and prepare the paint for the wax.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by HagFan View Post
      How much polish/wax application do you do by hand?
      As little as possible The machine always does a better job, so seriously, as little as possible, machine clean and polish everything you can.

Originally posted by HagFan View Post

Is the machine just used on the large, flat surfaces or can it be used on some of the surfaces with more curvature?
      Like mentioned above, use the machine everywhere you can, it's not as effective in tight areas or sharp curves because most of the time the pad will stop rotating and only vibrate, but this vibrating action is usually as good as most people hand techniques because most people don't have the best hand working techniques.

In the big picture, if you do a great job on the bigger flat sections and do a pretty good job on all the smaller harder to polish sections, the car will come out looking great and be protected.

If these are daily drivers then for most people this is what they're looking for, show car polishing requires a lot more work and more advanced tools and techniques. We can help you with either but it is good to keep a realistic point of view as well as realistic expectations for what it is you're working on.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks a million, Mike.

You stated that about high humidity elsewhere, but I'd forgotten about it. I think I'll leave #5 on the shelf until about July, when it should be just the ticket in Cincinnati.

Glad to hear the DA is used everywhere... Now it makes sense that no distinction was made.

Comment

fellow Cincinnatian to MOL, this is a great forum,everything you need to know to keep your cars looking like new!

Comment

Welcome to MOL HagFan!
            SYDSTER

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');