• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stained Paint caused by Tire Dressing Sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stained Paint caused by Tire Dressing Sling

I recently bought the High Gloss Tire Shine Gel and it seems after I apply it and it splashes all over the side of my truck. Even after it dries over night I still get those splashes.

Does anybody know will it harm the finish of the truck its brand new. Thanks, Ray

Re: Tire Dressing

It wont harm it, but it wouldnt hurt to wipe it off with a little Quick Detailer.

You might need to try cleaning your tires some. Many people also buff off excess dressing after it sits for about 10 minutes, but not sure if that works with a gel product.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Tire Dressing

If you have tire dressing slinging off the tire when you drive down the road and inertia kicks in, then you have too much tire dressing on the tires.

This is one reason to have two piles of towels in your garage
      • Good towels
      • Tatty towels

Good Towels are polishing cloths that are washed and clean and are in good enough condition that you would use them on paint.

Tatty Towels are towels that are clean, (been washed and dried), but you would never use them on paint.

After applying a tire dressing to all of your tires and allowing the dressing to penetrated next wipe any excess off using a clean tatty towel.

Badda-bing badda-boom... no sling!

Originally posted by father_ray View Post
      Does anybody know will it harm the finish of the truck its brand new. Thanks, Ray
      The dressing itself won't harm the paint but it should be wiped or washed off after it is discovered. Sometimes you will see a stain in the paint caused by the sling on the paint. The stain in the paint is from the blooming from the tire, not the dressing, the dressing just acts as a method of transferring the tire blooming residue from the tire to the paint.

We've been told this stain will fade when exposed to the sun. It would be a good idea to try to clean the paint also with a paint cleaner like ScratchX or a machine applied paint cleaner by machine after any sling is discovered and wiped-off.

Hope this helps...
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Stained Paint caused by Tire Dressing Sling

i use the High Endurance Gel and have never had a problem with sling.

my procedure.

Wash Tires
        Clean Tires and Rims
        Let rims and tires air dry
        Pull car into garage
        wipe off any excess water from the roll/spin of the tires/rims
        let it sit for 10 minutes
        apply one coat of HEG with sponge
        let that sit for 10-15 minutes
        apply another coat and let that dry for how ever long it takes till i use the car
        wipe off excess gel though immediately along rims. by the time i do the fourth rim i'll go back to the first rim and the excess gel will be running and i'll be in good shape to get them all.

total time:20-25 minutes excluding wash

never had a problem yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TrufflePig View Post
          i use the High Endurance Gel and have never had a problem with sling.

my procedure.

Wash Tires
          Clean Tires and Rims
          Let rims and tires air dry
          Pull car into garage
          wipe off any excess water from the roll/spin of the tires/rims
          let it sit for 10 minutes
          apply one coat of HEG with sponge
          let that sit for 10-15 minutes
          apply another coat and let that dry for how ever long it takes till i use the car
          wipe off excess gel though immediately along rims. by the time i do the fourth rim i'll go back to the first rim and the excess gel will be running and i'll be in good shape to get them all.

total time:20-25 minutes excluding wash

never had a problem yet.
          I use a similar process... I have found wiping the excess dressing off the tire helps minimize if not prevent the sling, keep in mind this process will also dull the tire shine and in my case I prefer more of a matte look on my tires.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. What I did do is use less gel and that worked no more sling on my truck. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');