People on other forums recommend using Dawn Detergent Dish Washing Soap to wash my ca
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: People on other forums recommend using Dawn Detergent Dish Washing Soap to wash my ca

Question People on other forums recommend using Dawn Detergent Dish Washing Soap to wash my ca

People on other forums recommend using Dawn Detergent Dish Washing Soap to wash my car?

Hi all. I was wondering... everyone suggests the use of Dawn dish soap for removing wax etc... why Dawn specifically? why not Sunlight or Palmolive etc? any reason?

Thanks,
    Nick

To be honest, i wouldn't use dawn or any other dish soap to remove wax, you would be better to use clay and cause less damage to your surface. Dish detergents tend to dry out the paint.

Registered Member

dish soap..........

NEVER USE DISH SOAP FOR WASHING YOUR CAR!!!!!

you don't use gear oil to wash your hair with??

the degreasing elements in dish soap will harm your paint finish on the long run!

ciao

Rick

Just don't do it!!!!!
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

I totally agree, I would never do it, and have never done so. But I'm reading around here and autopia and keep seeing people talking about using Dawn dish soap to clean off wax from pads etc...

I've also heard of people washing their pads with dawn, i think that is why many of them are seeing the adhesive dissolve and their pads separating prematurely. I wash my pads in hot water and car wash soap. I think dawn should stay in the kitchen.

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Hi Duckman,

Dawn is somewhat famous for it's strong detergent cleaning action enabling it to remove grease from dishes and pans. The idea being if it will remove grease, food and things like cooking oils from your dishes, it will be strong enough to do a stellar job of cleaning your paint before you begin a detailing session.

There is also a certain camp of people that recommend with a zeal, the use of Dawn to wash your car before the application of some paint protectants to insure some company's polymers will be able to bond to the finish.

The problem with using strong detergents to wash your car is that not only do high alkaline, strong detergent soaps like Dawn dull your car's paint and strip off wax/polymer protectants, it also dries out all of the non-paint components such as vinyl, rubber and plastic.

Meguiar's car washes clean effectively, and more importantly, safely, so you don't have to resort to antiquated and harsh methods of cleaning your car, truck or s.u.v.

The finish on this neglected Mercedes-Benz could have been harmed even more than it already was had a strong detergent wash been used on it in it's starting or Before condition.

Before

As you can see, the paint already looks much better after merely washing it with a Meguiar's car wash.

After washing with Gold Class Car Wash Soap

Richness, color and clarity have been increased just by using a high quality car wash soap.My own personal experience tell me washing paint as neglected as the paint on this car with a detergent like Dawn Dish Washing Soap would have made it look worse, not better.

See the rest of this extreme makeover here,

Blast from the Past! - The dead brought back to life!

After

Hope this helps...

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

off topic: so you dont have to use dawn before clay baring your car?
    j0hn

Originally posted by xjdmb16a2six
    off topic: so you dont have to use dawn before clay baring your car?
    No never use dawn or any dish detergent for that matter. Use a high quality automotive car wash and then clay bar. This will remove anything thats on the surface as it is anyways.
    Later,
    Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
    Auto Detailing Solutions

Re: Dawn Soap

Any Soap you use in the kitchen should not touch your car. I know its an old thread, but it bears repeating. Not everyone understands this, as car washes for fundraises always seem to use dawn or some other soap.
    '00 Audi A4 1.8 T
    '09 Audi A4 2.0 T Quattro
    Attention to detail is the key to success
    Steve

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information