• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake Country Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Country Pads

I have seen these pads mentioned occasionally. Will they fit on a DAPC? One posting suggests using a black pad with quick detailer. Does this give a superior result over just wiping by hand? Any other advantages to using these pads?
    Art Layton
    2009 Jetta TDI

Re: Lake Country Pads

I got these pads in a kit with my polisher. Dont really like them. They recommend using their light cutting pad with cleaners which is a big no no on a DA.
    2005 Toyota Camry LE Phantom Grey Pearl
    2001 Toyota Corolla LE Silverstream Opalescent
    1996 Lexus ES300 Ruby Pearl

Comment

Yeah I got them too when I bought my DA and I use them, but definitely like my MEGS pads better. Don't use the Orange cutting pads that they send with them though unless your using them with a bonnet over them to remove wax. That's the only advantage I've got from these pads. I do use the the white ones though, which are similar to Megs 8006 pads, for applying M66 and get pretty good results. When you get more pads though, definitely stick with Meguiars.
      Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Mayur View Post
        I got these pads in a kit with my polisher. Dont really like them. They recommend using their light cutting pad with cleaners which is a big no no on a DA.

Why is it a big no no? I've been using the orange light cutting pad on my orbital and #80 with fantastic results.

Comment

For what it's worth, I cannot tell the difference between the performance of the Lake Country pads and the Meguiar's pads. I've even used the cutting pads from both companies on a pc and have had very good results.

Tom

Comment

Keep in mind besides different pads, there are some other factors that will be different among everyone that ever makes a post about their experience with any specific pad or chemical.
            • Experience
            • Skill Level
            • Paint Type

You can give a true craftsman with years of experience any paint polishing system on the market and if the system works then the craftsman can work the system and get good results, depending on the system perhaps get great results.

Take the same system and give it to a person that's just starting out or at least doesn't have years of experience using all kinds of products and pads and working on all kinds of paint systems in every condition under the sun and they may not get good results, let a long great results.

Both types of people may then share their experience on a discussion forum and thousands of people will read about their experience and make a decision about xyz system.

It's just not that simple.

One thing we write about a lot on this forum is doing a Test Spot, there's a lot of reasons for teaching this idea and the most important one is because every time you work on a car's paint system that is new to you... you need to experiment and test on the paint system the pads and products you're thinking about using over the entire car and see if you can use these pads and products, (your process), to make a small area look good.

If you can make a small area look good you can tackle the entire car with confidence because you know that if you can make a small area look good you can duplicate your process over the entire vehicle and make the entire vehicle look good. Doing the test spot can take about a half hour, but it may be the most important half hour you spend on the entire car.

If you find the process you used doesn't make the car look good, then you'll be so happy you didn't dig right in and start using your process over the entire car.

If you read this forum enough you'll come across people that have made this mistake and usually our follow-up comments explaining how the next time they work on a car to do a test spot.

Point is there are a lot of foam pads on the market just like there are a lot of chemical systems on the market, chances are most of these pads and systems work as long as the person using them has the minimum amount of experience and skill to properly work the products.

Meguiar's pads and products have the benefit of being backed up by a company that's for the most part been doing this longer than all of the rest of the companies on the market and we have a background of working with the OEM and paint manufactures to help us gain insight into the paint polishing world that most other companies don't have.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

very well Michael.

excellent points.

Comment

I've used Meguiar's products almost exclusively since 1970. Given a choice between a Meguiar's product and a similar product from another comnpany, I will typically choose Meguiar's. It's a company with a very good reputation. A company that you can trust.

I'm one of those few who sometimes chooses a large area for a "test spot" -- not a good idea.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by scooter79 View Post
                  Why is it a big no no? I've been using the orange light cutting pad on my orbital and #80 with fantastic results.
                  Ive used it once on rock hard paint but from what I hear, cutting pads leave a white haze so thats why its a no no.
                  2005 Toyota Camry LE Phantom Grey Pearl
                  2001 Toyota Corolla LE Silverstream Opalescent
                  1996 Lexus ES300 Ruby Pearl

Comment

I use the orange pad with 83 on tough spots with good results. I generally have to go over the area again with 80 to get it perfect though.
                    S2000 Lovefab'd with GT30R
                    CTS-V (My first black car)

Comment

Originally posted by Mayur View Post
                      Ive used it once on rock hard paint but from what I hear, cutting pads leave a white haze so thats why its a no no.
                      As Mike said... Different results are obtained for different levels of experience. Alot of it comes down to common sense too. So you have tried the cutting paint on hard paint? What were the results in your situation? Did you end up with hazing? Forget about what you hear, what did you actually see. Just to clarify we're talking about with a DA or orbital right, not a rotary, right?

Comment

I have a Cyclo, and since Meguiars don't make 4" pads I use LC and Cyclo pads, and they work great.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');