• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Section of Rough Paint Won't Smooth Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section of Rough Paint Won't Smooth Out

My fiance has a new-to-him truck, it's an '06 and is a little less than a year old.

We (mostly me, I have all the Meguiar's stuff...) gave it a good cleaing on Sunday - wash, clay, and SpeedCut using the PC, and most of the paint felt slippery smooth, even before polish or wax.

Except... One section of the hood, about a third of it, just didn't seem to change. There's nothing visually different, but it feels rough - not gritty, but there's definitely an unsmoothness to that area.

Is there something else I should try?
    Laney
    '02 BMW K1200RS - 2 Wheels
    '08 VW New Beetle Convertible - 4 Wheels

Re: Section of Rough Paint Won't Smooth Out

Originally posted by Laney View Post
    One section of the hood, about a third of it, just didn't seem to change. There's nothing visually different, but it feels rough - not gritty, but there's definitely an unsmoothness to that area.

Is there something else I should try?
    Just for fun, re-try claying, (You did clay right?)

Only focus on only a small area and use a little more pressure with the clay bar than the first time with plenty of lube. you could be dealing with some very stubborn contaminants. We've seen contaminants that wouldn't budge without our aggressive clay bar but we don't want to recommend this because it's possible to scratch or haze the paint and then you'll have to fix this problem. So try claying again and only work a small area and really focus on the task at hand.

If you can improve a small area, you can fix the entire area. If you can't improve a small area then we'll need to find a different solution.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Section of Rough Paint Won't Smooth Out

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
      Just for fun, re-try claying, (You did clay right?)
      "gave it a good cleaing on Sunday - wash, clay, and SpeedCut using the PC,"

Thanks Mike - I'll give clay a second try - but it won't be until the weekend, since he and the truck are in Ventura County, and I'm down here in Orange County, and he doesn't have any clay. Or Quik Detailer. But he's learning.

It'd be great if you'd have an Open Detail Class soon, so I can help him develop an appropriate Detail Addiction before we get married!

I'll let you know if that works, although not until Saturday or Sunday!
      Laney
      '02 BMW K1200RS - 2 Wheels
      '08 VW New Beetle Convertible - 4 Wheels

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');