• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro Mobile Q's - Joe and Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Mobile Q's - Joe and Others

I have two questions pertaining to Pro Mobile Detailing that are otherwise unrelated, but I thought I'd ask together and get Mr. Superior Shine or others to fill me in.

1. Water Softening/Deionization

I've read the recent posts about this topic, but most solutions are small capacity, residential solutions. I fill a 150 gallon tank increasingly more and more. I have contacted a treatment facility in Knoxville that offers SDI tanks and I'm waiting for a response.

Joe (and others), what do you use in filling your tanks? How much water do you go through in a week? Any other useful info? I'd prefer not to change filters/recharge every time I turn around.

2. Hiring/Paying employees

God has certainly blessed my labors and I am in the process of looking for someone to work with me PT for now, but hopefully FT by summer. I am doing a 33 ft. camper on Friday and have a friend coming along. I figure I can show him as we go as this won't require extensive training.

Finding someone shouldn't be a problem. My question is more about pay. What have you found in your experience to work best? Hourly or per job? Either way, what amount or % do you pay typically? Does that amount change if you send the person out on a job without you as opposed to just working with you?

If hourly and the person rides with me to a job rather than meeting me there, should they be paid for ride time or strictly work time? Most people aren't paid riding to and from work, but this is a little different. I want to do what's right/fair for all parties.

Any other help is greatly appreciated. I look forward to your responses!

Jonathan

Re: Pro Mobile Q's - Joe and Others

I use DI tanks. I have my tanks swapped out every two months. I get about 2000 - 2500 gallons of ulta-pure water from them before I need to change them.
    If your doing allot of washes or wash very large vehicles (buses, etc..) you may need to swap tanks monthly.

Employees- I pay by the hour. I want my guys to take their time and do a good job. They go on the clock when we get to the first job and off the clock when we close the doors on the last job. If my guy goes out onhis own he gets paid as soon as he turns the key on the van and off when he returns back to the office.

I also pay one week vacation and six paid holidays. Workers comp insurance is also a must.
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Thanks! That's a lot of great info. I actually talked to a guy today about DI tanks or a water softening system. Unfortunately they won't do anything residentially and I don't have an office or fixed site. Maybe I can find someone else.

I would love to go to the detailing seminar out there at the end of the month and hear you (Joe) and others teach. Guess I better check into flight prices and see if I can swing it all. Maybe I'll catch one closer to the East Coast.

Growing and learning every day...

Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by audioguy99 View Post
        Thanks! That's a lot of great info. I actually talked to a guy today about DI tanks or a water softening system. Unfortunately they won't do anything residentially and I don't have an office or fixed site. Maybe I can find someone else.
        Yes, find someone else, you should be able to find someone who will set you up at your residence. When I worked for a Snap-on dealer a couple years ago (who was an ex-detailer) he used to have the DI water tanks at his house. They came in handy when we washed his two Snap-on trucks (one was 40ft, the other 30ft).

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');