• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarify: Please explain "Paintable" Cleaner Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarify: Please explain "Paintable" Cleaner Polish

I have some #83 Cleaner Polish I'm about to use for the 1st time. It says 'Paintable.' Can someone please clarify exactly what this means?

I plan on using 83 on all my car except the hood, which I will repaint. Can I then use 83 on the hood to smooth it out, then continue sanding, priming and painting without having to strip the 83 off first? Not sure what this means.

Thanks!
    Jamie

Re: Clarify: Please explain "Paintable" Cleaner Polish

I was able to find the answer to this. It means that the product is able to be stripped away prior to painting, with chemicals normally found in a paint shop.

Comment

Actually I believe paintable means that it is a paint shop safe product, meaning it contains no chemicals or silicones that could contaminate the paint shop environment creating defects such as fisheyes when painting.
      Brian

Comment

Mister B is correct

In a nutshell...a product that is "paintable" means it is safe to use in a painting environment with out the risk of causing "fish eyes". There are certain chemicals that paint doesn't like to stick to. If those chemicals are in product, we deam them as "not paintable"...Some people refer to this as "does it contain silicone" or is it "silicone free"... and if it does contain silicone it is "not paintable"...

Well, they are assuming that "silicone" is always not paintable...Not true....There are some silicones that are

We chose the word "paintable" as a better way for the shops to be sure it can be used by them with no risk

Keep in mind, once a car is painted then it is no longer an issue...

Mike
        Mike Pennington
        Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
        Meguiar's, Inc.
        800-854-8073
        mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Mike thanks for clearing that up. Its something I have been meaning to ask, but have not had the opportunity to do. Thanks again.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');