• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waxing for static electricity protection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing for static electricity protection?

Hi! Recently took delivery of my new car for which advised the dealer not to polish or wax it beeing afraid that they could introduce swirl marks from bad use of P/C (which in fact was the case in my other car few months ago from the same dealer). I have to admit that i had not the opportunity to wax it yet, but only washed her 2-3 times with Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner. The problem i have -only with this car- is an annoying (to say the least) static electricity discharge, when i pay to the toll posts and come in contact with the collector or obtaining tickets from automated car parks, and some times by the door when trying to get out of the car. Is there any chance that the car being untreated with wax, results in the formation of static electricity, compared with a thorougly waxed car?? I know that experiments showed that a waxed and maitained so car, has less friction (resistense) from the air that a non waxed and or dirty car has, so could the absense of a protective wax coat to permit air to produce more static electricity on a car?? I am about to wax my car and see what happens but meantime would like to have your opinion.
    Cheers
    Nikos
    STrive for perfection in everything you do.

Re: Waxing for static electricity protection?

Both of my vehicles are maintained very well and are waxed to the hilt. One has leather seats, and no static shocks, the other vehicle has cloth seats, and I get many, many annoying static shocks. So in my case, it seems to be the seats causing the problem.
    2006 Black Buick Lucerne (MY LAST BLACK VEHICLE)
    2000 Silver Buick LeSabre
    1977 White/Black Triumph TR-7

Comment

It could be coming from the carpet and the type of shoes you're wearing too. Dress shoes with leather soles are terrible for creating static on certain carpets.

Comment

I don't think there is a connection between (the lack of) wax and static electricity.

Humidity (when dry) is the issue here. We sometimes find that the aggressive buffing and subsequent application of polymer sealants induces significant dusting.

We can counteract this by grounding the vehicle. Find a BARE metal surface on the car.

Use jumper cables attached to a cold water pipe, or another known ground.

Cuts down on dust - dramatically - in a dry environment.

Good Luck!

Jim
        If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Thank you all for your advise on the subject. So there is no connection of an unwaxed car in relation with static. Therefore most probably could be the matts (some cheap ones given by the dealer as present) or will try to whear shoes with rubber soles and then check the fabric of the seats, or to hang underneath of the car something like a small chain to touch the ground for discharging the static while on the move.
          Cheers
          Nikos

Comment

Hi to all friends,

Have to log-in some years now and logged in today for another reason, but noticed this old post of mine. Well just for sake of good order, when i changed the tires of my particular car, the problem disappeared like magic. No more static, no more annoying static discharges.

Thanks all for your advise at that time.

Cheers Nikos

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');