• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just got a Porter Cable 7424, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got a Porter Cable 7424, now what?

I just got my Porter Cable 7424 delivered to me by UPS yesterday. After I excitedly opened the package up and read the directions, I realized right away that I was thoroughly confused.

I have seen multiple Porter Cable videos showing how the use the device in reference to technique, breaking down compounds, etc. That said, every instructional video starts with them applying the compound of their choice onto the pad of their choice, and off they go. My problem is, I have no idea on how to add and remove plates, pads, etc, to even get this thing ready to apply a compound.

Does anyone know of any resources on the actual prepping if this device, or can at least tell me how to do this?

On to another question. Assuming that I actually learn how to apply and remove pads, etc, I have a few questions on a few Meguiars compounds.

I have two cars that I wish to use the PC on along with Meguiars products. We have a third car, my wifes 1997 Toyota Celica GT. The car is rarely used, and the paint is not in the best of shape. From what I have read on the forums, would a wise choice be to do the following on her car:

Wash
    Clay
    Apply Meguiars #83 with PC
    Apply Meguiars #81 with PC
    Then apply sealant and or wax of choice

I also have a brand new 2007 Honda Accord that I already have swirl marks on from automated car washes, using old cotton towels, just real stupid stuff before I figured things out at forums like this. I already clayed this car, applied an AIO, and then topped it off with a Carnauba Wax. Since Carnauba only lasts for so long, I was planning on waiting another two months until I know the Carnauba is basically gone before I tackled this car, not to mention that I wanted to get the experience of working on my wifes car first. Anyhow, this is what I would plan on doing:

Wash
    Clay

Couple of things about the above. Since the car is new and the swirls/scratches not being too bad, I thought it would be better to only use the less abrasive Meguiars #81. That said, would I need to do any prep work on the paint prior to this other than a wash and claying? Also, would I be fine with going straight to an AIO after applying Meguiars #81?

Sorry for the megapost and so many questions. Any and all response will be most appreciated. Thanks!

Re: I just got a Porter Cable 7424, now what?

Your PC should have came with a wrench to remove the backing plate.
    If you haven't purchased a velcro backing plate, that would be one of the first thing to pick up.

You'll need some pads, a couple of each to apply #80, 83, waxes etc.

Try not to use different products with the same pad.

Was first as always, then clay to remove surface contamination, the clean the paint with 83, no need to polish after, just wax away.

Comment

okay going to try my best to answer this. i'm dead beat and so here goes.

Originally posted by brig2221 View Post
      I just got my Porter Cable 7424 delivered to me by UPS yesterday. After I excitedly opened the package up and read the directions, I realized right away that I was thoroughly confused.

I have seen multiple Porter Cable videos showing how the use the device in reference to technique, breaking down compounds, etc. That said, every instructional video starts with them applying the compound of their choice onto the pad of their choice, and off they go. My problem is, I have no idea on how to add and remove plates, pads, etc, to even get this thing ready to apply a compound.

Does anyone know of any resources on the actual prepping if this device, or can at least tell me how to do this?
      Your machine should come with instructions does it not. if not, it should come with a handle and wrench to loosen/tighten the chuck.

go get yourself a 6.5 inch backing plate from Meguiars, screw it in and then tighten it with the wrench until its firm.

On to another question. Assuming that I actually learn how to apply and remove pads, etc, I have a few questions on a few Meguiars compounds.

I have two cars that I wish to use the PC on along with Meguiars products. We have a third car, my wifes 1997 Toyota Celica GT. The car is rarely used, and the paint is not in the best of shape. From what I have read on the forums, would a wise choice be to do the following on her car:

Wash
      Clay
      Apply Meguiars #83 with PC
      well for starters your best bet is to do a test spot. and i'm thinking you want to do M80 after M83 as M80 can remove any micromarring or streaky haze that M83 might leave behind on darker colours or all colours for that matter.

you may not have to do M83 if its not that bad. REMEMBER: Least aggressive product first. M83 is one of those products that tells YOU when its done. it needs time to be worked in and you have to go slow in small sections. great product though.

if you don't have to do M83. then it'll be.

wash
      clay
      M80 - has enough oils that you can skip next step
      #7 - if you want
      wax x 2
      Sealant if you want

as for pad choice.

Purple Pad #7006 - This is only used to remove wax with a bonnet.
      Yellow Pad #W8006 - For paint cleaners and cleaner/polishes #80 #83 #9
      Tan Pad #W9006 - For Polishes, and waxes. #3 #7 GC Wax NXT Wax

Which pads and how many to buy.

3 -8006
      2 -9006
      1 -7006

these 6 should be okay for your services and is a good starting point.

REMEMBER. Its ONE PAD PER PRODUCT. write on the back with a sharpie what product it is and that's it you only use that pad for that product.

I also have a brand new 2007 Honda Accord that I already have swirl marks on from automated car washes, using old cotton towels, just real stupid stuff before I figured things out at forums like this. I already clayed this car, applied an AIO, and then topped it off with a Carnauba Wax. Since Carnauba only lasts for so long, I was planning on waiting another two months until I know the Carnauba is basically gone before I tackled this car, not to mention that I wanted to get the experience of working on my wifes car first.

Anyhow, this is what I would plan on doing:

Wash
      Clay

Couple of things about the above. Since the car is new and the swirls/scratches not being too bad, I thought it would be better to only use the less abrasive Meguiars #81. That said, would I need to do any prep work on the paint prior to this other than a wash and claying? Also, would I be fine with going straight to an AIO after applying Meguiars #81?

Sorry for the megapost and so many questions. Any and all response will be most appreciated. Thanks!
      Well you have to tackle the swirls when they start. so that means you'll have to figure out how to avoid them in the first place rather than fixing them everytime. and since you know its in the wash, are you using TWO BUCKET METHOD now? are you starting from the top?

is it parked outside everynight?

a daily driver?

these will all affect the finish.

AFter you do your first car you can do your wifes car as the PC won't allow you burn the paint or do any serious damage.

having said that, i'd do this.

wash
      clay
      M80
      wax x 2
      sealant

yo uodn't have to wait for the old wax to wear off either. give it a good wash, followed by a good clay - its all in the claying. this is what can make or break a finish and shine. its the prep that counts. and then you should be good to go from there.

personally i'd use M80. but do a test spot side by side comparison and see what you get. use all the products you'd use on the car and then see.

remember for the polishes/cleaners you don't have to let them dry. only the waxes. so when you use M80 or #7 that can be applied and the buffed off right away. it only makes it harder if you let it dry.

M80 is great because of its great cleaning ability and polishing oils.

also, i know this is more money in the end, but if its only fine light swirls the DC system might do the job. just a thought.

post some pics please.

all the best.

nite.

Comment

Trufflepig,
        I thought that sealants went before the wax due to the chemical bonding issues. Is this wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by 05blackG View Post
          Trufflepig,
          I thought that sealants went before the wax due to the chemical bonding issues. Is this wrong?
          well M21 is a sealant.

its personal perference.

some people just put two coats of M21 and then that's it.

some do NXT x 2 and then M21.

Comment

I would suggest getting the DVD Mike Phillips and Richard Lin did illustrating the use of the PC7424, pads, polishes, and wax on the 1960 Corvette. I found it to be immensely helpful. Written instructions only go so far, and often leave certain techniques in question. The video shows you exactly how to do everything you need to achieve awesome results.

Comment

yes the DVD is a greaet assest to your detailing collection.

helps.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');