• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tree sap removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree sap removal

I have a question for the group. How do you remove tree sap? I typically run into it here in NC. It usually is small about the size of a dime, and can range from sticky guey, to rock hard. Usually has a yellow color to it

Re: Tree sap removal

Have you tried detailing clay after first washing the car really well?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I haven't tried it but I would doubt that it will work on the rock hard sap, i often times can not remove it with my fingernail, it's usually mounded also. Somebody suggested Goof-Off which is a painters product, this worked great on the sticky sap, but will not touch the hardened.

Comment

I found some hard sap on my Dad's hood the other day after washing the car. Goo Gone took care of it. I did have to let the stuff penetrate the sap for a bit, but it all came off.
        1968 Mustang Coupe Candy Apple Red
        1990 Limited Editon Mustang 5.0 Convertible (7UP Car)

Comment

Have you tried isopropyl rubbing alcohol??

Comment

Originally posted by Stangfan View Post
            I found some hard sap on my Dad's hood the other day after washing the car. Goo Gone took care of it. I did have to let the stuff penetrate the sap for a bit, but it all came off.
            I have 3 pine trees...and a bottle of Goo Gone.

Stang: Nice Mustang(s)...love the rare 7-up! I just sold my 87 LX 5.0 vert...but got an '07 GT .

Are you on Mustang Source forums?

Comment

Hey Donc,

If you have rain-x give it a try. the solvents in it will breakdown the sap and it will remove very easily. For the really hard sap try soaking a rag with it and place it over the sap spot and let it sit for a little while(45 second to a few minutes and it should soften it enough to wipe it right off. Them remember to re-wax the area because the solvents in the rain-x will remove the old wax.

Andrew
              2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

Don't mean to bump this old topic, but rubbing alcohol does the trick!

My dad's prius had three areas of tree sap that hardened like a rock on the paint. I tried a few things such as clay and whatnot but nothing worked. Read about use alcohol so I did...

As soon as the alcohol touched the sap it broke it down and came off like butter. Then I just used some cleaner wax on the area and was all set. Good as new!

Comment

Always test a product first to make sure it will work in one small area first, different types of tree saps are easier or harder to get off than others.

Test, test test...

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I agree with invertalon. I had big gobs of soft tree sap and tiny hardened gobs of tree sap. For the big gobs I used Goo-gone to to remove the soft parts, then used the alcohol for all the hardened parts. I rinsed with water in between each alcohol application to remove the alcohol, then removed extra residue with more goo-gone. I was going to try UQD on some new tree sap spots that I've found, but I wanted to know if anyone has tried using UQD on tree sap and had any success?

A problem did arise that I hope someone could help me with. There seems to be some lifting now especially where the hardened tree sap was. It can definitely be felt, but can only be seen with close inspection (during day, and with a light during night its easier to see with close inspection).
                    I'd like to post pictures, but its very hard to photograph. What could I use to remove these easy to feel/hard to see spots and restore the smooth surface? I was thinking ScratchX, but wanted some opinions from MOL before I started anymore work.

I was hoping to do this by hand as I only have an orbital buffer. It is also a new car with white pearlescent paint.

Comment

I recall reading a post somewhere that if you hold an ice cube on the sap glob that it will harden it up, make it contract , and cause it to become fairly brittle. Then a fingernail will remove most of it.
                      Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

I've had success with mineral turpentine, soak it for a while then rub off. It will leave a dull mark but when re-polished and waxed/sealed will be back to normal.
                        The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
                        Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                        If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');