• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Advice...1st timer Just bought a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice...1st timer Just bought a car

Hey everyone....I've been reading thru threads for a few days and I thinks its great you guys have all the support and advice from everyone. I used your threads to figure out where the heck to start with my project. Here goes....

So I just bought a used '03 Infiniti G35 Coupe...which has paint in pretty good condition. There are soooo many great products out there that overwhelmed me before knowing where to start. Here's what I thought

My goal:
    Stage 1 - To do a full 5 step end to end deep, thorough washing /cleaning / polishing/waxing of the car despite what the paint condition was. The paint has minor-moderate swirls. And I figured before applying a good sealing wax, it was worth me putting in the time/effort to condition the paint one good time before moving to the usual Wash > Polish > Wax.
    That is, I wanted to break the steps out into individual 5 step before reducing the process to 3 step in later months.

Here are the products I bought for the paint.

> Deep Crystal Wash
    > Scratch X
    > Deep Crystal System Polish
    > NXT Generation Tech Wax
    > Quick Wax
    > Quick Detailer

Stage 2 - As far as the interior + trim, I used what I have always used
    Natural Shine Vinyl/Rubber
    Hot Shine Tire Spray
    Hot Rims All Wheel
    Lexol Leather Cleaner
    Lexol Leather Conditioner
    Glass Cleaner

.....If youre still reading this...THANKS!! Please let me know what you think of the Stage 1 Products I bought. Is this a good start???

Re: Need Advice...1st timer Just bought a car

Sounds like a great start. Your well on your way to a nice finish. As always you might want to pick up a DA and it will make things easier and much better. On the NXT, make sure to apply 2 coats and was as long as possible, up to 12 hours, in between. Otherwise it will look streaky, especially if its a dark color. Then use the quick detailer for maintaining the wax as time goes on.

Awesome car by the way.
    "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

Originally posted by Nica_21 View Post
      Hey everyone....I've been reading thru threads for a few days and I thinks its great you guys have all the support and advice from everyone. I used your threads to figure out where the heck to start with my project. Here goes....

So I just bought a used '03 Infiniti G35 Coupe...which has paint in pretty good condition. There are soooo many great products out there that overwhelmed me before knowing where to start. Here's what I thought

My goal:
      Stage 1 - To do a full 5 step end to end deep, thorough washing /cleaning / polishing/waxing of the car despite what the paint condition was. The paint has minor-moderate swirls. And I figured before applying a good sealing wax, it was worth me putting in the time/effort to condition the paint one good time before moving to the usual Wash > Polish > Wax.
      That is, I wanted to break the steps out into individual 5 step before reducing the process to 3 step in later months.

Here are the products I bought for the paint.

> Deep Crystal Wash
      > Scratch X
      > Deep Crystal System Polish
      > NXT Generation Tech Wax
      > Quick Wax
      > Quick Detailer

Stage 2 - As far as the interior + trim, I used what I have always used
      Natural Shine Vinyl/Rubber
      Hot Shine Tire Spray
      Hot Rims All Wheel
      Lexol Leather Cleaner
      Lexol Leather Conditioner
      Glass Cleaner

.....If youre still reading this...THANKS!! Please let me know what you think of the Stage 1 Products I bought. Is this a good start???
      You may want to get some APC. Very helpful in wheel wells and cleaning wheels. Other than that, you got it!

Comment

Nice....thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, when you said

"was as long as possible....up to 12 hrs in between "

....what did you mean? to wait?

Also, by "DA" did you mean a type of applicator?

Sorry, dont mean to sound like a newbie...just havent caught on totally to the shorthand/lingo. Thanks again!

Comment

Cool...thanks man. Hey, I was thinking of getting the clay bar and giving it a run through. But after washing + drying....the top finish feels pretty smooth. So although I dont think I need it....is it still a good idea to put a coat of clay on the body anyway? Or am I just wasting my time if I dont really need it?
          I dont mind puttin in the extra time but if I dont need it I wouldnt mind saving an extra 20 bucks....u know?

Comment

I'm gonna have my 1st go for it tomorrow in the am....should be a cloudy day so the conditions will be ideal for application. I'll post pics by this time tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

You dont really coat the car with clay. Just kind of wipe it back and forth, and it will pick up contaminants. More like an eraser or something, but just wipe gently.

As far as do you have to.. no... but why not. And it can be reused several times. You just may need to buy extra QD later in the year.

As far as the 12 hour thing, dont worry much. For absolute best looks, people like to apply a coat of wax, then wait 12 hours, then apply a second coat. Just try to wait 15 minute at least between coats.

A DA is a dual action polisher, also called a PC, since it is made by Porter Cable.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks for the info! I'll give 'er a go and post results

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');