• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have the right number of pads for the job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have the right number of pads for the job?

I have been sitting on my new PC 7424 for over three weeks waiting for everything to be just right, and this weekend may be it but do I have enough pads for the job.

I plan to start with my wife's Saturn wagon, move on to my kids Toyota, and finish up with my GTI. While I don't plan to do all for this in one day, or may be not one weekend I beginning to think that I need a few more pads to speed things along.

My plan for all of the cars is just about the same, #80 followed my #7 with 2 coats of #26, and at least two coats of NXT. Now assuming that I use one pad for each product and only for that product are 2-8006 and 2-9006 enough. I'm begging to think not but to purchase more pads will delay this project at least two weeks. Feedback please!
    ---
    Ignorance can be overcome but stupid lasts forever !

Re: Do I have the right number of pads for the job?

hi there, yes not assuming YOU HAVE TO use ONE pad per product.

Waxing The Car = W8006 (Tan)

Removing The Wax = W7006 with a X4003 bonnet over it

As for the pads they don't change with color of the vehicle.

Purple Pad #7006 - This is only used to remove wax with a bonnet as I described.
    Yellow Pad #W8006 - For paint cleaners and cleaner/polishes #80 #83 #9
    Tan Pad #W9006 - For Polishes, and waxes. #3 #7 GC Wax NXT Wax

3 -8006
    2 -9006
    1 -7006

that's the basic starting point.

Comment

hey truffle et al

1st of all i thought wax is applied with a 9006 if possible?

2nd of all this will prolly be answered when i watch the vette video, but when applying DACP or #80 or #7 and when REMOVING the product... you're supposed to "buff" it out. do you use a clean 8006... or a MF by hand? i thought the 7006+bonnet is for after applying wax.

thanks again,
      -Saleem
      07 Honda Accord... learning how to make it shine

Comment

You will probably get several different opinions on this, so here's mine.

1. Apply and work #80 with a 8006 Polishing Pad. Remove the residue by hand with a good MF Towel.

2. Apply #7 by hand and remove with another MF Towel.

3. Apply #26 by hand and remove with another MF Towel.

4. NXT is a little different. If you need any further paint claning or polishing, use it with a 8006 polishing pad. To just put on some protection, apply it with a 9006 finishing pad. Either application method, remove it with another good MF Towel.

Personal opinion here, too. I wouldn't use that combination of products.
        My personal choice would be #80 with a polishing pad, NXT with a finishing pad or by hand. Both would be removed with a good MF Towel.

You could also use the #80 then #7 applied and removed by hand, followed by the #26 applied and removed by hand. I think the cleaners in the NXT would remove some of the #26. If you think you have to use two LSP's, then the #26 probably should follow the NXT.
        Charles
        The Rainmaker

Comment

different waxes/polishes call for different pads.

when applying polishes such as M80 you don't need to let them dry so you do a panel at a time and then buff them off with either a clean MF or W7006 covered with a MF Bonnet. its up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by TrufflePig View Post
            different waxes/polishes call for different pads.
            The same wax used with a different pad can also give you different results.
            NXT Tech Wax for instance. With a polishing pad, it will do much more cleaning and polishing than with a finishing pad.

Originally posted by TrufflePig
            when applying polishes such as M80 you don't need to let them dry so you do a panel at a time and then buff them off with either a clean MF or W7006 covered with a MF Bonnet. its up to you.
            Doesn't using the G100 in this manner add a lot of extra work and time? You need to have a polishing pad for the M80, polish 1/2 the hood, remove the W8006 pad install the W7006, put on the bonnet and buff 1/2 the hood. You then remove the W7006, install the W8006 again, polish the other 1/2, then change to the W7006 again. On our vehicles, I would need to make that change close to 10 times.
            I wear a cheap carpenter's apron, keep a small container of M80 in one pocket, a MF towel in another. I polish an area and wipe the residue off with the MF as soon as I finish a section. Depending on how difficult the section is to access, I can usually just keep the polisher in one hand while I remove the product with the other hand.
            FWIW, I have several polishing pads and use them a lot. I have 4 finishing pads, (2 I purchased, 2 were gifts) and rarely use them. I don't own a cutting pad and have never wanted one.
            Having 2 or 3 polishing pads is a good idea. If you happen to get one dirty, you will want to change pads as well as using different pads for different products. The money spent on the other pads would have been of more benefit spent on more MF towels.
            Charles
            The Rainmaker

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesW View Post
              The same wax used with a different pad can also give you different results.
              NXT Tech Wax for instance. With a polishing pad, it will do much more cleaning and polishing than with a finishing pad.

Doesn't using the G100 in this manner add a lot of extra work and time? You need to have a polishing pad for the M80, polish 1/2 the hood, remove the W8006 pad install the W7006, put on the bonnet and buff 1/2 the hood. You then remove the W7006, install the W8006 again, polish the other 1/2, then change to the W7006 again. On our vehicles, I would need to make that change close to 10 times.
              I wear a cheap carpenter's apron, keep a small container of M80 in one pocket, a MF towel in another. I polish an area and wipe the residue off with the MF as soon as I finish a section. Depending on how difficult the section is to access, I can usually just keep the polisher in one hand while I remove the product with the other hand.
              FWIW, I have several polishing pads and use them a lot. I have 4 finishing pads, (2 I purchased, 2 were gifts) and rarely use them. I don't own a cutting pad and have never wanted one.
              Having 2 or 3 polishing pads is a good idea. If you happen to get one dirty, you will want to change pads as well as using different pads for different products. The money spent on the other pads would have been of more benefit spent on more MF towels.

yes i undestand that the same wax can produce different results with different pads but that's why i said what i did.

anyways, to each is own. i like the machine buff off. you don't. its all good.

its all personal perference. that's what detailing is all about getting the results YOU ARE HAPPY WITH!!!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');