• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garden Hose, never really discussed but we all have to be using one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden Hose, never really discussed but we all have to be using one!

Garden Hoses-- We never really discuss it here and I know we all use one, heck maybe there is nothing to talk about.

Do you go for the best? or the bottom of the barrel? In my case I have OK Swan brand but its just a little too shot now that I have a longer truck!?! I noticed at Lowes they have a 3/4" 'Neverkink', looks like a quality unit and I like the idea of 3/4" seems like it would flow the most water possible, but you pay for it $45-$50 for 75'(or maybe it was 50').

Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Re: Garden Hose, never really discussed but we all have to be using one!

good question brandon, i would like to hear some opinions as well...

Comment

Well I have lately had to use a friends driveway because I live in an apartment complex. I have no idea what they use, brand wise, for the hose but it works.

When I had my own spot I bought bottom of the barrel at Wal-Mart which cost me around 8 bucks. I just coiled it and stored it "properly" and it lasted me until I gave it away.

Doing a quick search I came across this hose that, I can only assume, cleans and coils itself after washing the car for you. At a hefty $180.00 (100ft.) this must be the grand daddy of hoses. Enter the Gilmour 6-Ply Flexogen Garden Hose:

Of course, for those really tough jobs you could always get city assistance and dial up the Fire Department:

Dirt would simply run and hide from that bad boy.

Comment

Not a bad question to ask, I use a cheap ''O'' hose, after it sits in the hot sun, it becomes kink free....
        Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
        ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
        (269)650-2242

Comment

I use one of those 'NeverKink' hoses at my warehouse. To be honest with you, I don't like it. It kinks just as much as a normal hose.

I have a Swan 'Soft and Supple' hose (I believe that's what it's called) and I use that for around the house and garden and detailing. I can't remember the length, but it is plenty long.

As for size, I really can't notice the difference between the 1/2 and 3/4.

Don't get one of those infomercial hoses - the 'flat hose.' or something like it. Supposedly, those leak a bunch, though I have never used one.
          Chris
          Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

I have one of those Never Kink (LOL) hoses also.
            MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

I have a 75 ft. Hose picked it up at Wally World for 16 dollars. It kinks but the majority of them do. It does the job and if I accidentaly run over it no biggie.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

I ran over the end of my hose last monday.. its smooshedd i cant put anything on the end no more! haha oh well the rest of it still works.
                02 Ford F250 Super Duty
                International T444E 7.3L Diesel
                Not exactly stock...laundry list of mods.
                Straight Piped
                PHP FU chip

Comment

Since you said we all are using one I want to pipe in and say that I haven't used one since I was a kid and sadly that's quite some time ago And that's the last time I washed my car outdoors as well. High pressure stuff just does a whole lot better job for me especially when it comes to rinsing. And I can wash my car even on the worst days and if I feel like waxing I can do it even when it's 40 below

This brings me to the point of this post which is - how cold does it have to be to wax outside? I've found that anything above freezing will do just fine. There's probably a bunch of people who shudder at the thought but today for instance it was only a bit above freezing and I polished and waxed outside. The Meguiars pure polish isn't all that fussy about it being this cold out but all that means is that it's going to cost you more elbow grease than normal but the effect is still as beautiful. As for NXT it's a breeze when it's this cold and not a whole lot different than a warm day.

Finally to the concept of diminishing returns and plateaus, every product does have it and you generally get there pretty quickly. As for Meguiars products they must have a plateau as well. It's just that after 10 months of regular use I haven't reached it yet. That's the most impressive thing I've found with these products.

Comment

I use one of those pre coiled cheap hoses. Why I don't know. Kinks all the time. I just keep using. I am cheap.
                    SRT-10 Silver

Comment

I wish I was cheap enough to drive a Viper.

PC.

Comment

I have a great hose now that really doesn't kink at all. When you pull it it straightens itself out. I think it's becouse it's 100% rubber. It wasn't cheap, but it's a great hose.

Comment

I usually buy the best quality (most expensive) 3/4" hose the store has. Then I just leave it out in the elements. I semi-drain it in the winter but many times I don't get enough water out and about ever 3 or 4 years, I have to buy another one.

A couple of years ago I bought a name brand coiled hose. Never again. First, it is 5/8" which means the water pressure isn't as good as a 3/4" hose. And, the thing gets twisted in more knots and kinks than is worth dealing with. But, it has lasted through 2 winters.
                          Last edited by Cadude; Apr 2, 2007, 05:48 AM.

Comment

When you posted this thread, I was out hose shopping. I was looking at the same brand. It was the neverkink with the lifetime warranty. The one I was looking at was only a 5/8". I dont think you will gain much flow from a larger hose, the pipe going to the hose bib isnt that big anyway. I would think the flow has more to do with pressure. Not to stray from the original topic, but... What do you all use for nozzles?
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
                              When you posted this thread, I was out hose shopping. I was looking at the same brand. It was the neverkink with the lifetime warranty. The one I was looking at was only a 5/8". I dont think you will gain much flow from a larger hose, the pipe going to the hose bib isnt that big anyway. I would think the flow has more to do with pressure. Not to stray from the original topic, but... What do you all use for nozzles?
                              The change in pressure using 5/8 vs 3/4 was noticable but we have an old house and pretty weak pressure anyway so any further restriction is very apparant. I use a foam gun and though I'm not trying to throw suds to the moon, the lower pressure does somewhat reduce the foaming action.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');