• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a trick of the trade!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a trick of the trade!

Goodmorning, I need help. I have a 2001 Saab 9-5 and it has this plastic/rubber molding/trip all around car to include the doors and front and rear bumper. I tried the Meguiars trim stuff (to lift out wax and blacken) and I am beyond disapointed. It rained (2) days later, and the stuff ran down the door panels and bumpers, and looks like it looked before I treated it? I folowed the directions to a tea, but had no luck. What is it YOU use that will blacken and not run or drip at first rain fall on your trim pieces? Thanks!! Heres a pic for reference

not the best pic of the trim, but you get the idea, on the front bumper, and 3/4 weay down on the doors, and on the rear bumper. Your help is GREATLY appreciated!!
    -Mike

Re: I need a trick of the trade!

there is some new stuff coming out that i promise will work AWESOME. but you'll have to wait a few more weeks.

proven results.

Comment

I use the aerosol Trim Detailer followed by a VERY light wipe of Meguiars Natural Shine. Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TrufflePig View Post
        there is some new stuff coming out that i promise will work AWESOME. but you'll have to wait a few more weeks.

proven results.
        More 2007 products to come?

Comment

All Season Dressing is good since it isnt water based its a bit more durable... try it out.
          02 Ford F250 Super Duty
          International T444E 7.3L Diesel
          Not exactly stock...laundry list of mods.
          Straight Piped
          PHP FU chip

Comment

BUMP - any new suggestios or what product in the megs range the bring the black to life?

Comment

As it has been discussed before, vehicle trim made of plastic simply does not absorb well. Any dressing will eventually bleed or wash off.

That said, the best tip is to use a product of choice (gold Class Trim Detailer, All-season dressing, Hyper Dressing, etc) and after allowing it to soak in as much as possible, go back and wipe off the excess product.

Then, continue to re-apply on a regular basis as a form of maintenance; that's the only way to keep it protected and looking new.

Comment

Not much of a remedy but in the future, when you shop for a new car, look for a car without plastic and rubber trim all over it.

In the good old days cars had real trim... made out of steel with a chrome coating or made out of stainless steel...

Our Honda Pilot has quite a bit of plastic and rubber trim and we normally use Trim Detailer on it and it's held up very well over the last 4+ years but then it doesn't rain much in the desert and it's garage kept.

As Mark said, plastic doesn't absorb very well, so any dressing you apply tends to be topical, that means it sits on top of the surface.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I agree with Mike and Mark. The thing I hate the most about the Jeep in my avatar is all the plastic trim. And because it sees a lot of dirt and mud, I have to dress it a lot and what I have found best is to do what Mark said, apply it let it soak in and then wipe off.

Contrary to the plastic needing to be dressed, I would rather dress all that plastic than have to buff it out because of all the scratches they accumulate from tree's, brush, etc while on the trail. Once I dress them, all those scratches are invisible.

Maybe I should just take them all off?

Ryan
                  Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

I guess I should be thankful. My O9 Camry has very little in the way of exterior trimming.
                    Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

It's as though the engineers and designers of cars have never had to detail one so they have no idea what a pain plastic and rubber trim is to maintain, especially the dreaded pebble textured plastic trim.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

agreed mike!

thats why i had my dad option his colorado to the painted trim the only plastic trim is the door strikes and the plastic lip on the front bumper and i think the top of the rear bumper. eh not to bad though, could have plastic fender trim.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan L. View Post
                          I agree with Mike and Mark. The thing I hate the most about the Jeep in my avatar is all the plastic trim.
                          Can you say Flat Fender?

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I have 2 Hondas and have never encountered that problem.I use plastic rubber vinyl protectant,which comes in a red spray bottle.The rubber looks like new and don't have any problems when it rains.Do you think you could be applying to much liquid and not rubbing it off properly?

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');