• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with first time swirl removal/scratch removal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with first time swirl removal/scratch removal...

Hello!

Well after venturing off of my usual forum, I decided that instead of asking the questions over and over and not getting much out of it to come to the ACTUAL product's site!

I'll start off by saying that this is my first new car so forgive my lack of knowledge, or lack of ANY knowledge LOL. I have a 2007 VW Rabbit in Black and love it. It has looked awesome, even through a somewhat bad winter! Upon taking it for it's first oil change (I was not there, family member took it) at a VW dealer, they decided without notifying my family member that they were going to wash the car.

Needless to say, as a result there are swirl marks over pretty much the entire car. I really can't say how "bad", but they seem sort of in the middle, not apparent from far away but you can see the spiderweb like design as you come close and the sun is on it. In addition, the wonderful people at the VW dealership put some minor scratches in various places.

The other day I went to Pep Boy's and purchased

*Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
    *M/F pads
    *ScratchX
    *Meguiar's "The Gold Class" Clear Coat Paste Car Wax (whoa lol)
    *The Absorber (for drying)

If anyone could start off by even letting me know if I have the "correct" parts so far to get on my way ....that would be great!

If I'm totally off, please recommend anything to substitute and any other ideas!

Thanks in advance,

Mike (clueless but willing to learn)

Re: Help with first time swirl removal/scratch removal...

Hi Mike, to MOL!

I'd say you have a good starter set there. I'd suggest adding clay and Quik Detailer to the mix, just because clay is a wonderful thing. You'll want some microfiber towels too.

PC.

Comment

noob here and thanks you! Awesome this is the question I was going to ask.
      Thanks for the info.

Comment

Read this,

How to use ScratchX by hand to remove swirls, scratches and water spot etchings

Then look in these two forums for anything with the title ScratchX in it and read those threads.

Hot Topics
        How To Articles

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

As I'm sure you'll read, ScratchX requires some 'passion' when applying, its not a wipe-on-wipe-off product. if this work on your VW (congrats on the car btw!) is going to be ongoing, not a one-time thing, you might be interested in using a PC (aka G100 aka PC7424 aka PC7336) and some #80/#83/#82 (different levels of cleaning/polishing), which will give you better and more consistent results w/o a dead right arm. (longest sentence EVAR )
          -Saleem
          07 Honda Accord... learning how to make it shine

Comment

Please I Need Help

Hi!! I'm new in the forum. I bought Medallion paint cleaner and Medallion paint protectant about 3 days ago. I'm not too familiar with wax products. I saw this store in Louisville and stopped by to check the products. He was a great salesman!! I ended up buying two products, plus a product to wash my Mo. Now that I've done my research, I found that the Medallion products have been discontinued. But I still see people on different forums, that had very good experiences in the past with this products.
            I don't know what to think, I feel I got robbed because all the new products that work better now and that I got pushed into buying something that is very old. The salesman told me not to buy a buffer because I could endanger my paint , just elbow grease and these products will do the trick.
            I still think I could do a better job with a buffer based on what I heard on the web. My paint is in decent condition. Swirl marks and minor scatches here and there, but is good overall. If anybody can give me any advise if I should go buy any other products to complement the ones that I already have, or go back and kick this guy b%$# and ask for my money back.
            I'm thinking on putting my products to the test in a couple of days and I just don't want to miss a step and messing my whole project or have to start all over again after I'm done. It's been pretty cold these last few days compared to last week weather (20-40's now)
            Thanks in advance and sorry to jump in the thread like this.

Comment

Medallion is quite good... dont worry about that.

Now certain buffers can be quite good. Rotary buffers can be damaging, but a G-100 is quite safe.

Now, as for working by hand, you can use the Medallion Cleaner, a pure polish like Deep Crystal #2 if you like, and then follow up with the Paint Protectant.

Some people find the paint cleaner removes swirls as well as ScratchX, so you should give it a try. You will want to work it in similar to ScratchX to remove defects.

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Here are some links for the machines:

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

All the links are great and I've been reading them nonstop but ONE question.... I can't seem to tell if it's possible/alright to use SCRATCHx or M80 on the whole car? Being that the car is fairly new (I purchased in November '06 aka 5 months old)

So basically I should...

1) Wash and Dry car...
                2) Apply SCRATCHx / M80
                3) Apply some sort of wax?

I'm a bit overwhelmed LOL .... While I know not everyone will agree on the best way/best products, I just want to find a generally accepted product/way of doing things.

Thanks
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ilikepizza View Post
                  All the links are great and I've been reading them nonstop but ONE question.... I can't seem to tell if it's possible/alright to use SCRATCHx or M80 on the whole car? Being that the car is fairly new (I purchased in November '06 aka 5 months old)

So basically I should...

1) Wash and Dry car...
                  2) Apply SCRATCHx / M80
                  3) Apply some sort of wax?

I'm a bit overwhelmed LOL .... While I know not everyone will agree on the best way/best products, I just want to find a generally accepted product/way of doing things.

Thanks
                  Mike
                  You have it.... There is no problem using either ScratchX or #80 on a new vehicle. Those products and many others are commonly used to remove swirls and fine scratches from a new vehicle when a dealer has not cared for the vehicle properly while it was on their lot.

Now are you working by hand? If so:
                  1) Wash and Dry car
                  2) Apply Scratchx - this is your best option by hand, where M80 will be a better option if you are using a machine like a PC.
                  3) Apply some sort of wax - As for a wax I have been very happy with NXT Generation Tech Wax but there are many other quality waxes in Meguiars line.

Now keep in mind ScratchX ing an entire vehicle will take some time and work so spread the work out over a few days making sure to apply wax on the panels once you have used ScratchX on them. Reading the links Murr and Mike posted above will really help in the application of ScratchX.
                  Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                  Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');