• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiment

As of this morning, my car had (including the usual prep) NXT x2 and #16 x2. I decided to wash the car, MAN, talk about power beading, the water would hit the car, INSTANTLY bead then pause for just a split second before falling off the surface.

Anyhow, I decided to put on a 3rd coat of #16, just 'cause I wanted to. When I was almost done, I noticed some minor swirls, and some kind of overspray on the hood. The swirls were minor enough that I might have been able to deal with them until my next day of, but the overspray had to go NOW!

Since I haven't had a chance to pick up some clay, I grabbed some #82 & the PC with a cutting pad. After taping off the hood from the rest of the car, I spent about 5-10 minutes working the #82 at about '5.' The overspray was pretty light, so that did the trick.

I did a complete interior detail this weekend and the wife was getting a bit irritaed with me for "playing with my car all weekend." Also it was starting to get late, but I couldn't leave the hood with no protection. I knew I wouldn't have time to apply NXT then a coat of #16, so I figured I'd try a little experiment. I applied some #16 to a polishing pad, then ran a couple of thin lines of NXT on the pad over the #16. I buffed it on at 3.5 It applied fairly well, and spread evenly. I gave it about 15 minutes then buffed it off with a clean microfiber. It was slightly more difficult to remove than either NXT or #16 are separately, but not as hard as #16 when it's too thick. I can't say that there was any kind of appearance difference since my car is so well maintained.

It will be interesting to see how the hood with it's 'WTH' (What the Heck), coating holds up as compared to the rest of the car.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Whatever happened to this experiment Don?

I know that now that your car is our of commission it doesn't really matter, but did you ever see anything interesting with your experiment?

Screaming Banana...RIP?? Now w/pics

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

It was still beading quite well the last time it was washed...about 4 weeks ago
      Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"
      2013 Camaro ... triple black
      323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');