• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fixing paint chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing paint chips

I have a 2001 RED camaro Z28, and there are about 6 or 7 paint chips in the hood, and one on the door. My question is, can these be fixed with out having the car repainted, and is it easy to do? i have been reading that you can get touch up paint, let it cure, then sand it, buff it, wax it and it is good.....will this just cover it up, and make it less noticable, or will it look almost perfect? can it be done with a PC? are those paint chip repair kits any good? i know its alot of questions, THANKS GUYS! YOU ROCK!

Re: fixing paint chips

they usually do the job, but the problem with these kit is that you have to get one that has your specific type of paint. there are thousands of different reds out there, and you might have to surf the web. Or what i would recommend is to take it to the dealer and they can tell you what type of paint you have, and dealers usually have touch up paint they can sell you, but its not cheap.

Comment

Re: fixing paint chips

These kits are supposed to be really nice. The problem is that they don't make them for many colors. Duplicolor and dealership touch-up paints are pretty good. As long as the paint isn't metallic or faded, it should match pretty well.

The sanding must be done by hand with wet sanding paper. I would start with a tiny 2x2in. square of 1500 grit paper. Fold this in half and use it to wet sand the touch-up paint after it has dried for two weeks (atleast). Once things are leveled out, go with a 2000 grit square. Then, since you are using a PC, find some 3000 grit paper. This will make removing the scratches easier. #83 and #80 will be fine to remove the scratches.
      Chris
      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');